Postojna To Trieste. - Summer in Slovenia 2023 - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2023

Postojna To Trieste.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We woke early like excited children on Christmas day.  We tore open the shudders and threw up the sash and eagerly anticipated what the day might bring us.   I don't know about you, but I've woken to a few Christmas' expecting that special gift under the tree, only to be disappointed by a pair of socks, or some such thing.  Today did not disappoint.  It was a cracker of a day.

My father, Lenny will not mind me retelling this particular Christmas story when I so much anticipated a BMX bike.  It was the early 80's, and all my brother Paul and I wanted was a BMX bike.  I believe my father just heard the word, 'bike'.   So, when Christmas morning arrived, we ran downstairs and my father opened the garage door to reveal two 3-speed bikes with chopper bars and banana seats.  Our dour expressions must have said it all.  As an eleven year old, it's hard to hide your feelings.   We didn't have much as a family, but I remember my dad feeling a little remorseful and exchanging them for two Raleigh BMX's.  From that point onward, all my paper route money went into buying better bike parts; and, I suppose, I've been tinkering with bikes ever since.  I am so grateful when I look back on that time, and for my parents for buying us these bikes because it brought the bicycle into my life.  How such a simple machine can bring you a lifetime of joy, adventure and fulfillment is something I (and Susanna) do not take for granted.

But, I digress.  Let's circle back to today's big news story.  Today seemed like a gift after days of unrelenting and pounding rain.  The morning sky at 5am was orange and bright.  Low misty clouds skirted the mountains at their base and the green forested peaks just poked their noses towards the sky.  Finally, a day to get back on the bikes.

Sue heading out of Postonja on a brand new bike path. What could be better?
Heart 5 Comment 0

It was surprisingly cool this morning as we rolled our bikes out from the underground garage of our hotel, and I can be proud to say that I've wore every piece of clothing that I brought on this trip.  Who would have thought that we'd need our down jackets, gloves and a long sleeve wool cycling jersey on a trip to Europe in the dead of summer?

Along the way, we actually had to layer up as the sun took its time to burn off the misty low-lying cloud.  But, it didn't take long before we were shedding layers as the day began to heat up and the warmth from the sun brightened our spirits after such a long stretch of dreary days.

We're still in a high plateau here to the east of Trieste.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cycling away from Postonja on a beautiful separated bike path. Take a look at that morning sunshine!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heading southwest towards Razdrto, and then on to Trieste.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The high green plateau. We're at about 550 meters above sea level here. Beautiful rolling hills before the landscape tilts steadily towards the Adriatic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
High plateau.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nanos peak up ahead. It's a prominent geological feature that rises above the town on Razdrto.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nanos Peak.
Heart 3 Comment 2
ann and steve maher-wearyLove the blue sky after all the rain you have had.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo ann and steve maher-wearyHi guys. It was a gift today! We were getting kind of itchy to get back on the bikes!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Today was a day we can actually congratulate RideWGPS!  It did a great job of negotiating us through some heavy arterial traffic headed into the busy metropolitan area of Trieste.  For the most part, it kept us off busy roads, and there was even more gravel riding to be had.

A look back at Nanos peak.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Being re-routed off the busy roads for some gravel adventure in Slovenia, once again.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A congregation of European Firebug. A beautiful bug, indeed.
Heart 9 Comment 0
There was even more gravel to be had just past the town of Sezana.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be blue eryngo.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/162710-Eryngium-planum/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraThanks Bill. It sure is pretty.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

We knew at some point that we were nearing the Italian border, and we were to say Adijo to Slovenia and a Ciao to Italy.  We were disappointed to not have a border shot, so that we could properly commemorate our departure from Slovenia; a country which we thoroughly enjoyed cycling through.  By the time I checked Google Maps, we were into Italy.  Thanks Slovenia for being such a great country to travel in!

Now into a whole new climatic zone! The bike path brought us through areas of dry stone fences, and the sounds of cicadas as we made our way towards Trieste.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Once we passed Sezana, the vegetation changed to more of a dryer coastal Mediterranean Climate.  Back again was the sound of the cicadas, chirping crickets and the typical coastal umbrella pine that borders many of Europe's coast zones.

Along quiet roads to Trieste.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We had one last climb, before dropping off the high plateau, followed by a screaming 500 meter descent towards the coast.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our first views of Trieste Bay, and the Adriatic coast.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Us. A young couple from Trieste who were picnicking offered us some potato chips. We declined on the chips, and they took our photo instead. Trieste down below.
Heart 7 Comment 4
ann and steve maher-wearyLovely photo of you two.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo ann and steve maher-wearyThanks😊
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great photo of the two of you!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachel.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Trieste.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We were too early for check in when we arrived, so we quickly changed and were off exploring this very beautiful city.  Some shots of the afternoon.

Trieste Grand Canal.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We stopped for a celebratory drink here. Trieste, Italy.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A nice way to end our tour. We have two nights here before a final train to Venice.
Heart 8 Comment 0
A look at the Grand Canal of Trieste.
Heart 5 Comment 0
An interesting wish for the past.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Piazza Unità d'Italia.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Piazza Unità d'Italia.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThis is such an exceptional space. I’d love to see Trieste again.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonIt really is a stately city. Amazing buildings and architecture.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 716 km (445 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0