Ljubljana II. - Summer in Slovenia 2023 - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2023

Ljubljana II.

Today was another washout in Ljubljana, but we did our best to get out and explore this very beautiful city.  We both agreed, that even with the dreadful weather, Ljubljana is one of the most beautiful cities we've been to in Europe.  

Most of the central part of the city is pedestrianized along both sides of the Ljubljanica River, which makes this city a very walkable and pleasant city to stroll around in.  Much like yesterday, we strolled around in the rain, and when the rain became torrential we found cozy snugs to sit, have a drink, and watch the parade of humanity walk by. 

First thing this morning we walked up to the Ljubljana Castle which sits on a hill overlooking the city below.  You'd think with such awful weather outside, that we'd take the time to explore the dry comforts of the interior of the castle, but we're Vancouverites, and we'd much rather be outside under the cover of our umbrellas and walk the perimeter of the impressive castle walls than be inside.  It was quiet and peaceful as we strolled around in the greyness of the day; the city cloaked in low cloud below.  After, we'd had our fill, we then descended the gravel paths through beech forests back into town.  

A nice message written in Sue's cappuccino this morning.
Heart 6 Comment 0
One of the benefits of getting up and out early on a miserable day, is that you get the city to yourself.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Ljubljana Castle sits high on the hill. Like yesterday, umbrellas decorate the city streets.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Partway up our climb to the castle.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Strolling around the outsides of the castle walls.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I don't blame these pigeons for seeking shelter.
Heart 4 Comment 0
There's a funicular that brings people to the top of the castle.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking outside to the Love lock bridge from one of our cozy little stops.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The weather is something that Sue and I are quite used to.  It's just like being in Vancouver through a good storm system that rolls through in December.  The only difference here is, though, it's warmer.  But, it did put a bit of a damper on our time here; pun intended.  

We visited the Franciscan Church of the Annunciation. Here is a shot of a painting behind the altar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is the Slovenian Parliament building. We loved the sculptures showing civilians in various poses. I think the nakedness of the sculptures effectively, and intentionally, conveys egalitarianism among the citizenry.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Closer look.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ljubljana.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A look along the Ljubljanica River towards the Franciscan Church.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Strolling across one of the many bridges spanning the Ljubljanica River.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezDo you carry umbrellas with you? Buy some?

Your photos are beautiful. They make me interested in Slovania as a destination. Do you speak the language? Is communication an issue?

Thanks.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Kelly IniguezHi Kelly. I've been following your adventures as well. We always bring one small umbrella, the other one is a loner from the hotel. We don't speak the language, but English is commonly spoken here. It's a beautiful country. You have lots of fellow CBers for info. The Andersons, whom you know and us. Susan Carpenter has a good journal of her travels. Safe travels!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Even on a rainy day, the daily city market was colourful and lively.
Heart 1 Comment 0
City market.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There's even a flower section.
Heart 6 Comment 0
I don't blame the sparrow for finding refuge inside this cafe. Him and his companion were quite crafty, taking nips of bread on out going orders from the kitchen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bronze door on the outside of the Ljubljana Cathedral. Dating from 1996 and commissioned to celebrate the late Pope John Paul II’s visit to the cathedral. There are two doors, but this one depicts six cardinals in a row with the figure of Christ lying at the front. It's hard to tell from the photo, but each of the pope's heads project outwards as a three dimensional relief. It's quite an intriguing door.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Wet Ljubliana.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Hopefully tomorrow's forecast for more rain is incorrect.  But, it's not likely.   We have a ride planned for Postojna, but if the weather is what it was today, we're likely taking the train tomorrow as well.  This is frustrating, but we're not interested in riding all day in the rain, just for the sake of riding all day in the rain.  This is supposed to be a holiday, after all.

Today we saw many younger cycle tourers set off from Ljubljana for a day out in the rain.....then, we reminded ourselves that we don't have to do that anymore. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Kathleen ClassenI feel so badly for you that you have this kind of a forecast. We had such gorgeous weather when we were there. But it is a fabulous city, isn’t it? Fingers crossed your weather improves.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraHi Kathleen. Yeah. The weather is the pits. But, we're still enjoying our trip. The weather looks to be improving for our last riding day into Trieste, but today to Postojna looks to be another wet one. Oh well 😥
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rachael AndersonHopefully the weather will be better than forecasted but it is nice there is a train. Good luck!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonHey Rachael. Finally, the weather looks to be improving tomorrow for our ride into Trieste! Then, we'll have the following day for a day ride to Koper. I must admit, I'm getting a little itchy for some exercise!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraI’m crossing my fingers for you! Trieste is a beautiful place.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonWe're looking out the window this morning, and it looks like a beautiful riding day! Finally!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago