Ljubljana I. - Summer in Slovenia 2023 - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2023

Ljubljana I.

Well.  The weather forecast was correct.  It's bad out there.  So, we're blaming the weather and using it as an excuse to take the train to Ljubljana.  We're not interested in riding in a heavy rain all day. 

But, in all seriousness, Slovenia is currently experiencing higher than normal precipitation and this has caused heavy flooding in many areas across the country.  In fact, the town of Ravne, which we passed through just last week, is currently underwater and we've been fortunate enough to avoid the worst of this crisis so far.  In fact, I looked at a news image of a restaurant in Ravne that we sat at just last week, and if we had have been there yesterday, we would have been floating down the Drava.  I suppose it might be prudent to take a closer look at our route for our last two cycling days towards Trieste to see if the heavy rains will affect the remainder of our trip.  We've actually been very lucky, as much of the rain has occurred overnight, leaving the days relatively dry for riding.  But, the rain has definitely caught up to us today.

But, on to today.  The train ride was uneventful as we watched the lush green countryside flash by through rain streaked glass.  We arrived in Ljubljana to heavy rain, and we knew we had made the right choice to take the train. 

One look out our window this morning was all we needed.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonI love biking in a country with a decent train system, don’t you?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonHi Scott. Sure do. Today and tomorrow look the same as yesterday. Hope the weather changes so we can cycle the last days of our trip. Was hoping to do a day ride out of Ljubljana today, but that's not happening.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Novo Mesto train station.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A look out the train window at one of the train stops along the way...
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once we checked in, we dawned our rain jackets and umbrellas and walked into town to check things out.  On first impressions, Ljubljana is a very beautiful city even in the rain.  

We really didn't do much other than walk around and take in the sights.  The city straddles the Ljubljanica River with incredible pedestrian zones, attractive buildings, and lively bars and restaurants on both sides of the river; and we spent our time dodging the heaviest rain by ducking into cafes when the rain came down in torrents.

We didn't take many photos, but hopefully it will be dryer tomorrow. But, the forecast looks much the same as today.

Sue. Always happy, even when it's raining.
Heart 9 Comment 4
Scott AndersonGreat composition!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rachael AndersonMuch better than biking in the rain! It’s always nice to have an umbrella.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonSo true, Rachael!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Walking into town...
Heart 6 Comment 0
The rising Ljubljanica River splitting the city in two.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Love lock bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A shot towards the castle on the hill.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Reflected umbrellas. Looking through the glass floor of the bridge. The muddy Ljubljanica River below.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
David MathersWow, what a drag but good call on taking the train. Europe has had very weird weather patterns this year as we experienced earlier in Italy. Riding all day in the rain is no fun. Enjoy, Ljubljana...I have heard many good reviews of the city and its people. Cheers
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo David MathersHey Dave. It is a drag. Today and tomorrow look the same. Hope this doesn't turn into a train tour.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago