To Biberbach - Skipping About the Continent - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2022

To Biberbach

What a memorable day, a roller coaster day of surprises, concerns, exhilaration, hilarity, and loss.

 To begin with, it was my birthday and I was thrilled to be sharing the day with Suzanne biking through the Black Forest. We wouldn’t be cycling my age in miles, or even kilometers, but double the fun must count for something. The surprise of the day came at breakfast when Suzanne gifted me a wonderful buff that thoughtfully matched some of my cycling gear. It was a perfect gift for a chilly morning like today.

 I was packing up after breakfast when I got a birthday wish from my sister, who was on a guided group cycling trip in Scotland with her husband. The call contained some very un-Happy Birthday news – both had contracted Covid, their first infection. She was not feeling well, so it was a brief conversation with promises to call tonight. There was nothing I could do, so we carried on.

We were just on the edge of Freudenstadt when I noticed that my phone had died – a problem insofar as I use my phone for navigation. I made sure it was connected to the charger and restarted it, but it again lost all power. I was a bit distracted by the morning’s Covid news, so it took a while for me to recognized that I’d had a similar problem during our CycleBlaze group ride in Burgundy – which turned out to be due to a faulty charger cord. And so it was this time. Suzanne waited patiently while I retrieved another cord from the panniers, entertaining herself taking pictures in the rose garden. I was soon powered up and we were off, once again cycling into the woods – a joyous few miles that pushed Covid concerns to the back of my mind.

 Our ride through the forest ended in the small village of Loßburg Schömberg, where we picked up a small highway that followed the Kleine Kinzig (Little Kinzig) River down into the Kinzig Valley. An initial convoy of large trucks and cars were a little concerning, but they were an anomaly as the next ten miles proved to be an exhilarating stretch of cycling through tree-covered hillsides and open fields with grains, goats, sheep, and cows. In fact, the livestock far outnumbered the cars. All too soon we arrived in Schenkenzell, where we met Hwy 442 and the Kinzig River.

The day started with another delightful ride through the forest
Heart 8 Comment 2
Keith AdamsLooks like a scene straight out of Hansel and Gretl.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterYes, or Little Red Riding Hood, another fairy tale of the Brothers Grimm set in the Black Forest
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Two friends at rest
Heart 9 Comment 0
Storm clouds to the north and sunshine to the south - we didn't mind the headwind as we headed south, hoping they would push the rains away
Heart 5 Comment 0
Suzanne is just a yellow dot as we followed the Kleine Kinzig down a long and winding road
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rounding the curves
Heart 7 Comment 0
The birthday girl in her birthday buff - but you have to look closely
Heart 8 Comment 0
A big-horned goat, though I don't think that's an official breed
Heart 7 Comment 0
The cow in the foreground looks udderly distressed
Heart 5 Comment 0
Sprinkling the logs - something I'd not seen before
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltCommon practice at sawmills to reduce fungus and insect damage by keeping pores full of water. Lots of info. on the internet.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=3081.0
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltCommon practice at sawmills to reduce fungus and insect damage by keeping pores full of water. Lots of info. on the internet.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=3081.0
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill - I didn't see many logging operations living in Iowa for 30 years!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Deciduous trees appeared on the hillsides as we descended into the Kinzig River valley
Heart 5 Comment 0
Our splendid downhill run ended in Schenkenzell, where we met Hwy 442 and the Kinzig River
Heart 7 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltPretty purple flowers! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

After just a few miles alongside the busy Hwy 442, the route veered off toward the town of Schiltach. Suzanne spied a sign directing us to the medieval town center, and we ascended to a cobbled square surrounded by an amazing array half-timbered houses. Located along a route once used by Romans traveling to Strasbourg, Schiltach grew to be an important crossroads for transport of goods by rail and along the Kinzig River. Though the Schiltach-Schramberg railroad line has closed and commercial river traffic has greatly declined, the town remains a popular tourist destination for lovers of half-timbered houses and nearby hiking and biking trails. We took our time in Schiltach, taking too many pictures and enjoying tasty lemon tarts in the town square.

The half-timbered homes in the historic hilltop section of Schiltach
Heart 10 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNicely preserved!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
In Schiltach
Heart 9 Comment 0
Three more
Heart 5 Comment 0
In Schiltach
Heart 6 Comment 0
A stop in Schiltach for lemon tarts
Heart 7 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonYou’re sure finding great treats on your tour!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Rachael AndersonThat we are! A little too many, perhaps - but they are tasty.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Charmaine RuppoltDesserts are ALWAYS welcomed on a bike trip! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Crossing the Kinzig River
Heart 10 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLovely flowers! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

The afternoon was spent along dedicated cycle paths, traveling west toward Biberach as we criss-crossed the highway and Kinzig River using a variety of tunnels and bridges. The southerly winds had brought sunshine, blue skies and warming temperatures and it was easy and relaxed riding through the small towns that populated the Kinzig River valley.

 As the miles remaining to our hotel approached zero, there was no sign of civilization and Suzanne began to fret that she had booked us into a place in the middle of nowhere, a place with no nearby restaurant – something Rachael would never do. Although I teased her a bit, offering to share my half-eaten Clif Bar for my birthday dinner, I knew all would be fine. And it certainly was. The Landsgasthof Kinzigstrand was indeed in the middle of nowhere, but it was very nice inn with an excellent restaurant where we dined on grilled Black Forest trout. There was no Black Forest birthday cake on the menu, so I indulged in an enormous bowl of ice cream with chocolate sauce - I can't believe I ate the whole thing! It was a superb birthday dinner to cap off an outstanding day of cycling.

Teamwork: Suzanne noticed this unusual tree, which I recognized as a Monkey Puzzle tree (Araucaria araucana) from my cycling trip in Patagonia where the tree is native
Heart 8 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetThey are fairly popular as garden trees here in southwestern BC.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A closer look at Araucaria araucana
Heart 7 Comment 0
Passing through Wolfach
Heart 9 Comment 0
Leaving Wolfach
Heart 6 Comment 0
A look back after passing through the town of Hausen, with Hausen Castle on the right
Heart 4 Comment 0
Almost looks like a slalom course
Heart 7 Comment 0
Suzanne giggling and elated after successfully removing her merino shirt from UNDER her cycling jersey
Heart 13 Comment 7
Kathleen JonesIt’s an art!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauMy wife tried that once while camping and accidentally exposed herself. I had to look away, not because I was bashful, but because I had to look around to see if anybody else saw it.

I'll go back and look, but I don't think Suzanne mentioned this episode on her own journal. I guess one of the rewards of reading two journals about the same tour is the differing perspectives. 😊
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Kathleen JonesIt is an art, one I'm hopeless inept at. That's why I always wear my merino OVER my cycling jersey!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Gregory GarceauThere was a little skin exposed, but nothing risqué - we were laughing so much I just had to include this photo
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachael
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Charmaine RuppoltTo Susan CarpenterAgree - - wearing the Merino OVER the jersey is the preferred way! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Nearing our hotel, seemingly in the middle of nowhere.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhat a beautiful picture of the landscape! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The Landsgasthof Kinzigstrand
Heart 6 Comment 0
In lieu of birthday cake - a very large bowl of ice cream and chocolate sauce for me; crème brûlée and ice cream for Suzanne
Heart 8 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonThat looks great and you still have a piece of Black Forest cake to look forward to!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Charmaine RuppoltThank God the hotel had a good restaurant!! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

We got the news during dinner that Queen Elizabeth II had died – a great loss for her family, for Great Britain, the Commonwealth, and for many countries and people around the world who will miss her steadfast sense of duty and honor, along with her grace and humor. As for my sister and her husband, I got a text saying they left the group tour but she was too tired to talk, maybe in the morning. (Spoiler – I’m writing this a few days after the fact and although they each suffered for a few days they are both feeling better and are now resting on the Isle of Skye.)

 It was quite the birthday, one I will always remember.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 2,655 miles (4,273 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Janos KerteszAlles Gute nachträglich zum Geburtstag!
Du hast eine schöne Reisebeschreibung mit guten Bilder. Ich habe sie gern gelesen.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonHappy birthday! It’s great that you had such fine company for your day.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonSorry in late wishing you a happy birthday! I better add it to my calendar! I’m sorry your sister and her husband got Covid but I’m glad to here they are doing better now! That’s not the kind of news you want to get, especially on your birthday.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Janos KerteszDanke Janos for the nice comments and birthday wishes. It was special sharing my birthday with Suzanne
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Rachael AndersonThanks for the Birthday wishes Rachael. And we're all hoping my sister and her husband keep improving.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott - and it was indeed special sharing the day with such a fine person as Suzanne
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierHappy belated birthday, Susan! I’m loving this trip you’re doing with Suzanne.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Rich FrasierThanks Rich for the birthday wishes, and sharing it with Suzanne was the best.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago