The Plan - Schnooks Tackles the Tarn - Tandem Tour - Sept 2023 - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2023

The Plan

Heart 0 Comment 0

We're off again for another tour!  

For our fall tour this year, we've picked something close to home.  We've been trying to stay out of airplanes in 2023, and this ride will start and finish in Albi.  That's about a 2 hour drive from our house in Limoux.

Our equipment will be unchanged from our previous tour, with the exception of a new Wahoo computer on Rich's handlebars.  His old, beloved, black and white Wahoo finally became unusable due to the screen de-laminating.  The old Wahoo Elemnt Bolt had accompanied him on his adventures for more than 10 years.  There were some tears shed.   Rich is sometimes sentimental like that...but a new colorful Wahoo Roam V2 arrived in the mail and has now stolen his heart.  Rich is sometimes also fickle like that...

Schnooks is our almost-new Chinook titanium tandem.  We took it out on a successful initial tour back in late May.  We've been riding it on our day rides at home this summer due to a rear wheel problem on our speedy Paketa tandem, and we're finding it pretty much just as speedy as the Paketa.    We're both amazed and excited about this new bike.

The plan is to drive to Albi and spend the first night celebrating Robin's birthday.  Then we'll ride upriver until we arrive in Florac-Trois-Rivières.  From there we'll turn back toward Albi, riding up some river valleys and over some of the "causses" that create the landscape in that part of France.

This tour will have shorter than usual mileage for us.  We're hoping to take more time to gawk and sight-see.  Since we're not camping and cooking for ourselves, we've also had to adjust the days to leave us in places with food options each night.  Also, there were some accommodations that we really wanted to check out along the way.  We're always suckers for a night in a castle, and we're looking forward to a couple of memorable stays!

Everything is booked and we start rolling on September 5th!


Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Suzanne GibsonLooks like a great route! And of course starting in beautiful Albi is an excellent kick off. I'm looking forward to your journal. It looks like something we would like to do ourselves.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Janice BranhamAh, to be able to take off from home for a little jaunt in France, staying in castles no less. Schnooks certainly seems up to the task after its impressive first run. Looking forward to following this one.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyYes, you are so lucky to live in beautiful France. Looking forward to following along!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Lyle McLeodLooking forward to following along and seeing this wonderful area again through your lenses. I’m envious of your ability to start a tour like this with just a short trip from home! Great looking bike too …. and love the name ….. we live in the land of Chinook’s (aka Snow Eater to the native Blackfoot people)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott AndersonThis looks like such an outstanding itinerary, one I’d love to take. I’m m especially looking forward to seeing what the Jonte Gorge looks like. I’ve lost track for the number of scrapped tour plans I’ve drawn up that went that way and overnighted in Meyruis. Good luck with the weather!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great looking tour! I look forward to reading about it.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago