Summary - Schnooks Tackles the Tarn - Tandem Tour - Sept 2023 - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2023

Summary

The entire ride, slightly different from the planned ride. Each day in a different color.
Heart 2 Comment 0

A great ride.  450km of riding and 4500 meters of climbing.  Incredible scenery and blue skies on all days except one.   A feast for the senses.

The Chinook tandem is amazing.  We had no missed shifts from the SRAM electronic shifting, even in difficult situations.  No falls, no flat tires, no mechanical issues.  We were able climb loaded on grades up to 12 percent, and indefinitely on grades up to 8 percent.   The bike tracked true through gravel, dirt, and non-optimal tarmac.  Not one minute of uncertainty.  We are SO happy with this tandem!

We had some amazing meals, and stayed in some amazing places.  For sure, the night in the Chateau de la Caze was a standout.  We think our favorite night, though, was at Le Sahuc.  The multi-course meal on the deck in the warm evening was something we'll remember forever.  And the accommodations were first-rate.

Honorable mention goes to Les Magnolias in Plaisance.  The evening we spent in the courtyard eating, drinking, and talking was magical.

But of course there were so many small moments in the trip that we'll treasure.  Conversations with people who passed by, the lovely hotel staff that let us check in early and asked questions about our trip...We'll be talking about this trip for a long time.

Our Ortleib bags continue to function perfectly after many years of use.   We have more space than we need - we've both considered adding an extra set of biking shorts to reduce the amount of laundry we need to do.

Lessons learned from this trip are pretty modest.  About the only thing we discovered was that we should probably take a partial roll of paper towels with us to use as napkins and random cleanup items.  

We feel like we've hit our stride on touring at this point.  Which probably means that we're due for a "correction" on a future trip.  

We thank everyone for reading along with our journey, and we encourage every reader to consider what type of human-powered travel might work for them.  We are not super athletes.  If we can do it, so can you!  Get out there and have some fun!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Keith ClassenThanks Rich for documenting and sharing your ride along the Tarn. It was fun to follow you and Robin on your tandem. Your journal will prove very useful in several respects if we get up that way in the next couple weeks. We are finally on our way to Barcelona tomorrow. All the best!
Keith
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Mike AylingThanks for a great journal!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Genny FoxWonderful journal and beautiful photographs. Thank you!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Michael HutchingEnjoyed reading about your trip Rich, especially since we found out about yet another great French river. We drove in the area way back - would love to pedal there.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Suzanne GibsonEnjoyed your journal! Excellent ideas for our next time in France!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Mark BinghamThanks for sharing! Excellent journal, as always!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great trip! I’m glad both of you and the new tandem performed so well!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago