Good To Go Despite Ourselves - Schnooks Tackles the Tarn - Tandem Tour - Sept 2023 - CycleBlaze

Good To Go Despite Ourselves

We're less than a week out from our starting date and everything is good to go.  We have had some challenges, though!

The first challenge was health-related.  We spent a great week in Montreal, Canada for our daughter's wedding in early August.  The only negative was that we both came back sick with COVID!  The nasty virus finally caught up with us after 3 1/2 years.  Riding on buses and on the metro evidently was too risky, I guess.

So we've had 2 weeks of significant discomfort and unscheduled downtime while we wait for the virus to clear.  Not the best way to roll into a tour, but we're generally in pretty good shape and this tour isn't too physically demanding.  So we're hopeful it will work out OK.   

The second challenge came when Rich got confused about the unscrewing direction of Schnook's rear axle and managed to strip out the allen key socket.  Makes it impossible to repair a flat tire if that socket isn't functional!

Luckily our hero David Lafferty (the brains behind Cycles Chinook) rode to our rescue.  First with advice to help Rich get the axle out, then by express shipping us a replacement axle.   Tour saved - thanks, David!

We have some commitments to satisfy this weekend, and we still need to pack and organize.   But it looks like we'll get on the road as planned on September 5th!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Jeanna & Kerry SmithWe're glad to hear that your challenges have been met and surmounted. Now you're ready for a trouble free wonderful tour! I'm looking forward to reading about your castle stays. Safe travels.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Rachael AndersonSorry you both got Covid! Hope you get feeling better soon. We both got it when we returned to Portland from France last December but got over it quickly.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Susan CarpenterSorry to hear the virus finally caught you, but glad that you’re both back on track for what promises to be a great tour. I look forward to following along as you travel down some of my favorite roads of the past two years. Enjoy!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Mike AylingMary and I still wear masks in crowded areas and on public transport.
That virus is going to be around for a long time yet.
Quick release axles are more user friendly than through axle but they are more effective with disc brakes.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Genny FoxHi, I couldn’t help but notice your beautiful Tour of Napa Valley jerseys in your title pics. It is my favorite TNV jersey. How did it happen that you were visiting us and rode the 2018 edition?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Rich FrasierTo Genny FoxHi Genny - We cheated! We ordered those jerseys directly from the manufacturer without doing the ride. It’s hard to find matching jerseys for us so when I saw them on the Voler website I just ordered them. They must have been leftovers!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago