Day 4: To the Rettenbach Alm - Austria Again - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2021

Day 4: To the Rettenbach Alm

One last day for a ride before we have to get in the car and drive home. It's the warmest day so far, hard to believe we are into October already. The plan today is out as far as time permits before we turn back. The route for our ride follows a small stream, the Rettenbach, up to the Rettenbach Alm. On our way out the door we meet our host and he tells us about the Rettenbach Hütte, a popular place for hikers and bikers to stop for refreshment. So far I had no idea what to expect from our route other than that it would turn into a steep gravel trail at some point, probably further out than we had time for anyway.

We first ride through Bad Ischl to reach the path along the Rettenbach.

Zauner, one of Bad Ischl's most elegant cafes, where I thought we might stop sometime for a decadent piece of cake, but we never did.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYou'll have to plan to go back to the Zauner to try one of their cakes! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
St. Nepomuk, patron saint of bridges, watching over the Ischl
Heart 6 Comment 0

While we pedal the moderate climb on a wooded path, to the right the drop off down to the Rettenbach gets steeper and steeper. The stream is far below us and I don't feel comfortable too close to the edge of the road. Sometimes there is a guardrail, but not always. 

We are high above the stream.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI don’t like those kind of trails either!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
I am thankful for the guardrail, although there aren't too many other cyclists on the road in spite of it being a Sunday.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Me, keeping to the middle of the road
Heart 6 Comment 0

The road levels out and the Alpine pastures of the alm appear. Cow bells are tinkling and you can almost imagine that is Heidi playing in the meadow.

The road opens to the Alpine pastures of the alm.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Family Sunday hike
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Rettenbachalm Hütte where we stop for a bite to eat
Heart 5 Comment 0

This is our last day in Upper Austria, a day to savor and remember. We share a kaiserschmarrn and a bowl of soup. A stay in Austria wouldn't be complete without a kaiserschmarrn, a kind of scrambled pancake served with apple sauce, cranberry sauce or something along that line. Around the corner we hear folk music. At first I thought there was going to be a wedding party, then I saw that they were making a recording, presumably for a television show.

We have company at the table.
Heart 5 Comment 0
When she doesn't get any handouts, she makes herself comfortable in the flower box, looking rather petulant.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Keep smiling, you are being filmed!
Heart 5 Comment 0
I have seen Alpine folk music shows on tv, now I have seen one in the making. I have a soft spot for this music and there are many excellent musicians performing in this tradition.
Heart 3 Comment 0

From there it was all downhill to where we had parked our car at the apartment. The car was already packed, we just had to hoist the bikes onto the rack, secure them and go. Sunday afternoon traffic returning to Germany was slow. Obviously many had chosen to hike in the mountains on this beautiful autumn day. In the spring the mountain paths are muddy, in the summer the sun is hot for hiking, but autumn is perfect for Alpine lovers. The trip back took 3 1/2 hours, we were in Gauting at five.

We couldn't have been more pleased with our impromptu trip to Bad Ischl and our bicycle rides there. Everything was just about perfect, the weather, the surroundings, our apartment. This might have been the last little trip of the season, if so it was a lovely finale.

Heart 1 Comment 0



Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 157 km (97 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Rachael AndersonGreat it worked out so well! You are lucky to have such great destinations so close.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonYes, we really are so lucky. Now you just have to get that visa for France and you will have all those great destinations close to home, too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesNice trip. Great days.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierGreat trip! You’ve given me more rides to add to my ever-expanding list. Austria will definitely be one of our destinations over the next couple of years.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rich FrasierGlad you enjoyed it!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamA wonderful trip Suzanne
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesYour photos, again, seem so clear and beautiful. What camera are you using? The last Cycleblaze blogger that I asked this of gave the surprising reply of iPhone 8!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI am using a Sony Nex 6, got it used for 100 Euros (without lens). It's a great little camera, but I also do a bit of editing of my picturs before I post them.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamHope some rides in Europe are in your future, too!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago