Day 3: To Ebensee am Traunsee - Austria Again - CycleBlaze

October 2, 2021

Day 3: To Ebensee am Traunsee

Another day, another lake - today it's Traunsee to the north of us. 

Setting out - our apartment is in this house. This is actually Lindau, three kilometers outside of Bad Ischl.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Roadside selfie of Janos and me
Heart 6 Comment 0

Leaving Bad Ischl we take a narrow bike path along the Traun River and soon we are on a path, again R2, next to the highway which will take us all the way to Ebensee (not a lake but a town) at the southern tip of Traunsee. 

We will follow the Traun all the way to Traunsee.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Now we are next to the highway.The path was loud. It looks like a new bike path is being built to the left on the river bank.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI was biking in Montana this past Spring, and they build some bike paths right next to busy(ier) roads than this -- NOT peaceful or quiet! :( But better than not having a path at all...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We weren't too happy that we would have noisy traffic for all of our ride today. When a bridge over the Traun appeared and we saw some cyclists coming from that direction, we thought we should see what alternatives there were, even if they didn't take us to Traunsee.

We cross the Traun to a trail on the other side of the railroad tracks.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The path was quiet and it went all the way to Ebensee. Much of it was a rough trail with many ups and downs, but even with my limited (non-existent) off-road skills, I could cope. I didn't have to dismount once. 

Some of the trail was nice and smooth.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltMuch better than the noisy path by the road! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
When we got out of the woods, we had wonderful views.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We didn't have a lot of excitement today, but the mountain panorama when we reached the lake was pretty impressive.

Traunsee, looking north from Ebensee
Heart 6 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch at a pizzeria and for the ride home we decided to take the path next to the highway. Enough bumpy roads for the time being. The wind was at our backs and although we were riding upstream, we zipped along. 

Janos looking pleased
Heart 5 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesAnd why wouldn’t he? He’s on a bike ride with you.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesWhy thank you, Kathleen!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The ride back, not as interesting as a side road, but still attractive
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Another beautiful day in the Salzkammergut.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 132 km (82 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGlad you found a nice alternate route on the way out!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago