Day 1: To Sankt Wolfgang - Austria Again - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2021

Day 1: To Sankt Wolfgang

Another window of good weather has appeared! And the mountains were calling again. Or was it the fine journals here on CycleBlaze that were inciting us to return to Austria for more mountain scenes? Our previous jaunt to Austria is here. This time we chose the Salzkammergut that the journals of Scott and Pat and Scott and Rachael made so tempting. The weather is in sync with my time constraints - I want to be home on Tuesdays for taichi class and Wednesdays for qigong. That leaves Thursday through Monday for leaving town. This week the good weather is scheduled Thursday through Sunday, an omen not to be ignored.

We hatched the plan on Wednesday and left on Thursday. The plan this time was to drive to Bad Ischl, a three-hour car trip, where we booked an apartment for three nights, and to take out-and-back rides from there.

We're almost there.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Actually, the weather forecast for Thursday in Bad Ischl wasn't that good, but it wasn't going to rain either and that was good enough for a start. We were lucky with our apartment just outside of Bad Ischl. First of all, our view from the little living room is of mountains and pastures and cows.

Looking out the window
Heart 7 Comment 1
From the terrace which we will enjoy when the sun comes out, too chilly today
Heart 2 Comment 0

We settled in to our cozy little apartment, I think we are its first guests, and then saddled up for an afternoon ride to Sankt Wolfgang. 

Pictures are of the ride to Sankt Wolfgang, in Sankt Wolfang and the ride back (I didn't feel like thinking up captions.) I think I am going to like out-and-back rides as opposed to loops. This way you get to see the views from both directions. Otherwise I often stop just to see what the view would be if I were going the other way. 

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Gregory GarceauOooh, love them dark clouds.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
A visit to the church of St. Wolfgang is worthwhile, here the Pacher Altar
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 9 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Before we returned home, we stopped off for a little shopping for an evening meal and breakfast. It was a great ride and I expect tomorrow might even be a little greater when the sun is shining.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 km (17 miles)
Total: 28 km (17 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 12
Rich FrasierI’m loving these quickly-planned shorter trips! You’re inspiring me to do something similar down here. Lovely pictures, too!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamType your comment here
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamWhat a wonderful place you live in for these inspiring rides. I am reliving our trip of 2019 through the great journals on Cycleblaze at the moment and dreaming. Perhaps next year. In the meantime your photos and journal are giving us pleasure
Have a lovely few day
Tricia
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rich FrasierThanks, Rich! Once your gear is set up and you have your routine, it isn't that hard to leave on short notice and when you have an idea if the weather will be good enough.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamThanks so much, Tricia! I do hope you can get away to tour next year.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe too are planning a short outing, in our local area of Vancouver Island. If I make a blog for this, I will be trying to convince myself and any readers that this is a world class destination of great beauty. Maybe it is, but frankly your photos of your region are just beyond beautiful!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThank you! It's hard not to take good pictures here with scenery like this. I'm sure you have some pretty fine scenery down your way, too. Hope you will be writing a journal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI second Suzanne’s thoughts. It would be great to see some footage of the PNW in the fall.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonLooks like a really smart plan, Suzanne. A base with day rides is a great way to stretch the season. Ride when you can, shelter when you can’t.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Nancy GrahamNo need for captions — your photos say it all. There is a lot to be said about fixed base (we call them ‘hub and spoke’) tours. I love touring ‘with’ you and enjoy your photos and stories. They do make be a bit envious however ;’-).
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamHappy to gave you along for the ride!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonGreat news you got out again! Looks like a great apartment. Thanks love out and backs for the same reason you do.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago