Exploring Apache Junction on 2 wheels - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

January 3, 2022

Exploring Apache Junction on 2 wheels

Apache Junction

Since there weren't any dances going on tonight we decided to get Garfield out for a quick spin. But the morning was too chilly for a ride, even for Don so we waited until after lunch to venture out.

Don went to have the oil changed in the truck while I piddled around the trailer, organizing some drawers, vacuuming the floor (love my new cordless Dyson!) and doing a little laundry. 

By noon, the temperature had climbed to near 60 degrees so we headed out. I was layered up but Don didn't even bother to put on socks with his sandals! At least this year I had packed my heavier winter bike clothes. I was tired of being cold on rides.

Since we hadn't ridden for several weeks, we did a pretty short ride out of the campground. It was all urban riding on streets that had some bike lanes and others that did not. Traffic was moderate so it was ok. 

We turned south and went under Highway 60 until that road dead ended, then went north to another road that circled us back north and east to the KOA. 

Part of the ride was in a desert just on the edge of the homes. It wasn't particularly scenic as there was plenty of light industry out here but we did have nice views of the mountains surrounding the valley. 

We did make one quick stop at an over 55 community that was advertising a dance for tomorrow night, but discovered that while it was open to the public, the dance floor was concrete. Not for us, it's too hard on our knees. 

Another road took us by a couple of schools where they were doing outdoor Covid testing. The line of cars was quite long. That's what we've been seeing on the news - lots of people getting tested.

It didn't take long to complete our loop. We plan to do another ride tomorrow - this time a longer one as we get our legs back into biking mode. 

Pictures coming soon!

We saw this huge puddle of water on the road by the KOA - a leftover from the heavy rain we had here recently.
Heart 0 Comment 0
About the only places we see green grass in this valley are at the golf courses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Hibiscus flowers are one of the few flowering plants we see. I'm surprised that it seems to thrive in temperatures that range from the 30's to well over 100 degrees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode by a Covid testing site on our ride. It was quite busy as we've seen reported on the news stations. In fact, some are even have people swab themselves while waiting in their cars in order to move the line along.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw this interesting 2 story addition to a home in an RV park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our leg home we encountered a closed road. There was a sign saying "open trench". Hmmmm. We stopped and Don talked to the workers there, and luckily they said it was clear and that we could pass through the spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 11 miles (18 km)
Total: 1,694 miles (2,726 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0