Getting ready to go again! - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

Getting ready to go again!

Here's how

"It's going to be a shock when we have to start holding onto the handlebars to steer and paying attention to the road," Rachel says before our last spin class starts. Because the weather has not been conducive to riding outdoors, we've been going to the YMCA Spin Class on Tuesday and Thursday for a couple of months. 

"Let's go, let's go...now! You can do better than that" Barb shouts leading the cycling class. We will hear her voice when we start to push up our first hills.  In the past, we've looked at the first weeks of a tour as training by starting out slow and easy. But those were on longer tours with time to gain strength and this tour is only 4 and a half months. Thanks Barb, for great spin class and motivation!

Thanks Barb!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Also prior to leaving on a tour we would have a going away party. This time we are focusing on individual get togethers with a few friends and will miss connecting with some before we leave.  As cyclists, it is no surprise that the parties center around food. 

One of the first get together is a progressive neighborhood party. Though, not all the neighbors participated, and in the end, the party didn't progress from house to house. Instead, we all just met at our house, it is fun evening! 

Steve and Marianne (Left) Christine and Jeff (Right)
Heart 1 Comment 0
A gift from neighbors Christine and Jeff, to neighbors Marianne and Steve and us. Is there a message here?
Heart 3 Comment 0

"Let me guess you are going to have the Pad Thai" Patrick says as we are meeting up with friends Bob and Cynthia for a dinner at Thai Bistro. "Of course, it will be a while before we have Thai food again. And you'll have a curry or something with Basil?" Rachel replies. "Thai Basil," he says. We have a nice dinner and visit. We will get together again for the Sunday Super Bowl game at our place. 

Bob and Cynthia
Heart 1 Comment 0

Another get together that is a tradition is meeting up with friends Cynthia and Chris at Highland Hollow for dinner either prior to leaving or when coming back from a tour. A great fun evening with them and the plan is when we are back in June to all go out for dinner here along with Frans and Petra.

Cynthia and Chris to Highland Hollow for great Hamburgers and Fish and Beer.
Heart 1 Comment 0

One more tradition to be repeated is Bob taking us to the airport. He has done this on two past tours, usually early morning. This time the flight is not as early.

2006-07 Racpat Bali to Boise https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/balitoboise/
Heart 1 Comment 0
2006-07 Racpat Bali to Boise
Heart 0 Comment 0
2015-17 Racpat RTW https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/racpatrtw/
Heart 1 Comment 0
2015-17 Racpat RTW
Heart 0 Comment 0


We've been working on the checklist, figuring out how to pack for the flight. After trying to pack to keep below the luggage fee, we finally decided why not pay for an extra piece and not have to lug heavy items in our carryon or keep track of in the airports. The flight has 3 legs: Boise to Salt Lake City transfer to flight to Paris, then a 4 hour wait for the final flight to Casablanca.

Patrick is weighing all the gear and bike boxes. We've used the duffle bag in the past and will mail it to Holland once in Casablanca. The old suitcase we'll give away.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Patrick has boxed and weighed the bikes. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Andrea BrownThat is an amazing and beautiful workshop.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsI have workshop envy! Mine's not that big and nowhere near so tidy and well-organized.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Kim our house sitter until mid-April has arrived from Phoenix. We are ready to go and will be off in 4 days. Let's get there!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierLooking forward to following along!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago