Why start in Morocco? And end in Holland? - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

Why start in Morocco? And end in Holland?

Many of us reading this journal and here on cycleblaze might remember Bob Hope and Bing Crosby's movie "Road to Morocco: Here we go again". Or maybe some of us might remember "Here's looking at you kid" and the piano music playing "As Time Goes By" in a bar in Casablanca. If not those, surely the Beattle's "On the Road to Marrakesh" or Crosby Stills and Nash "Marrakesh Express" comes to mind.

What better draw and pull from memories to entice us to explore Exotic Morocco? 

1994, after 6 months cycling Capetown to Nairobi, we are looking across the Straits of Gibraltar to Morocco.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat a wonderful photo!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensThanks Rachael, I'm so excited that we will meet in Sicily! Thanks for all the suggestions on our route.
Rachel
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The overall plan is to take 5-6 weeks to ride Morocco, Island hop Sardinia-Sicily-Boot of Italy to Durres Albania. Then ride up the Adriatic Coast and once again end a tour in Patrick's home in Ossendrecht, Holland. We've started or ended a few of past tours from Ossendrecht, so why not this one too?

Lots of details still needing to be decided.

To follow us on this tour or read past tours, you can view the journal for free, but if you want to comment you must (for free). Sign Up - CycleBlaze We hope to hear from you.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 16
Scott AndersonWe’ll have to keep an eye out for each other, alright. We talk about making it over your way in Idaho on a road trip some summer, but crossing paths in Sicily or Puglia would be wonderful.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensFor sure that would be cool to meet up on the road! We'll keep you posted and you guys keep in touch with us....once we each have nailed down the route and schedule.
We probably won't be in Sicily until end of April and will be moving through, unlike how you guys really explore the area you are in.

We will be back the end of June, would be awesome if you would come visit us in Boise. The perfect time of year to float the river.
Racpat
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonI’m looking forward to following your trip. I’d love to see Morocco!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterLooking forward to following along - should be amazing!

I am also enchanted with the thought of cycling in Morocco, but being less adventurous than the two of you I booked an 7 day group tour - starting from Marrakech 5 March
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Susan CarpenterHi Susan, fantastic for you, and we'll be in Morocco at the same time! What is your route? Will you stay in Morocco after the tour?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Rachael AndersonHi Rachael, as I'm intrigued by how you guys travel. And it seems we will be in the same neighborhood next Spring. Scott mentioned maybe coming through Boise in the summer...we'll be home June 18
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Rachel and Patrick HugensHere is the link for the group tour, with the itinerary and map. https://www.spiceroads.com/tours/authentic_morocco
I arrive in Marrakech on the 4th and am due to depart for Paris on the 12th, but could delay a day or two. When do you plan to be in Marrakech?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Susan CarpenterSusan, we are working on the itinerary now and will keep you updated. Your tour looks great....We are going to be on a similar route. We fly into Casablanca Feb 15th and down the coast. We have a friend, Jacob, that cycled through Morocco and included Dades Gorge.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott AndersonWe have our dates and ferries booked
March 29 Tanger to Barcelona
April 2 Barcelona to Porto Torres
April 8 Cagliari to Palermo
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensThanks for the update. We have Susan Carpenter with us in Tucson this week, and we were discussing your schedule last night and wondering if she’d cross paths with you in Morocco or if we might in Sicily, Basilicata or Puglia.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ron SuchanekI can't wait to read this journal!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Ron SuchanekHi Ron, thanks....we are counting down the days.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Susan CarpenterHi Susan,
looks like we will be in Marrakesh Feb 26-28, Dades Gorge March 6
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterDrat, it looks like we will miss each other, but just barely.
Based on my tour itinerary, I will be in Marrakesh Mar 4 and 5, and will be biking to Ait Benhaddou on Mar 6 and to Dades Gorge on Mar 7, arriving the day after you.
I can't change my dates since it's a guided tour, not sure about your flexibility.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Susan CarpenterHi Susan, we will stay in touch, our schedule is flexible and dates
may be subject to change. Would be great to meet you in Morocco!
Have a great tour. our email is racpat_rtw@yahoo.com
Racpat
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterThat sounds promising - it would be great to meet the two of you! My gmail address is susanlongcarpenter. Hope it works out.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago