To Brescia - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2023

To Brescia

In all our years of traveling we’ve only seen one other place with a staircase design like this place has, where each tread is only a half-step because the pitch is so steep.  I think there’s a reason you don’t see this solution more often.  it was memorable enough that it’s no problem to find our previous experience in the journal: in Sant Agata di Militello from five years ago.   I think there’s a reason you don’t see this solution more often.  It’s an interesting challenge, requiring concentration and good eye-foot coordination. 

We did well last night, sleeping through with neither of us needing to get up and climb downstairs to use the bathroom, and this morning we’re both successful in making our way down the stairs without bashing in our skulls or breaking our necks.  After two nights of this though we’re pushing our luck.  It’s definitely time to move on.  In the future we’ll pay more attention to the photos in the booking gallery.

Heart 0 Comment 1
Janice BranhamLooks hazardous. We both knocked our heads in a BnB near the Loire with a short loft like that and vowed not to book any more such tight spots.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 3
Janice BranhamFun perspective, though
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kelly IniguezThese are called Jefferson steps - at least in the USA. Congratulations on an uneventful stay!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooThese kinds of ‘ladders’ are quite common in the back country lodges that we ski in. They are usually leading to the sleeping lofts.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Rachael surprised me last night after looking at my photos from the day by speculating on whether it would be feasible to bike up the lake again today on the way to Brescia so she can see for herself.  It’s a great idea, and with the short distance we had planned it looks feasible.  I agree with her that we can save some time if I don’t stop for many photos today since I covered the same ground yesterday.  I keep to my word pretty well, but we’ll let the video tell most of the tale for the first 25 miles.

It’s a peaceful scene on the waterfront this morning.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Clusane.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking toward the north end of the lake. The best part begins at that first headland. It’s longer than I remembered getting to this point, but worth it for what follows.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The view across the lake.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I’d meant to take some photos of Rachael along here, but instead it’s me that gets captured from her GoPro.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rich FrasierMore pictures of you are not a problem imho.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
We turn back here, after the last headland and when the route merges back with the road. We’ve added 26 miles with this detour already, that’s enough.
Heart 5 Comment 0

 

Video sound track: Boléro Sonambulo, by Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban

 Back at the outskirts of Clusane we turn southeast, now on our originally  planned route to Brescia.  It follows a generally well marked bike route the whole way, one that for the most part keeps us on pavement but away from the cars.  There’s one modest climb, but other than that it’s a pretty gentle ride all the way in.  Once we’re within Brescia we’re immediately impressed by its bike network, as a separated three lane pedestrian/bike path carries us the next few miles into the heart of the city.

We’ll be in Brescia for three nights before continuing on, aiming toward our meetup with Suzanne and Janos in Trento next week.  As always, it’s just a bit of a mental shock to realize that two weeks from today we’ll be waking up in a condo in Portland, our home for the first month after we return.

Just east of Clusane, looking across the wetlands of the Sebino Natural Reserve. With another day here I’d like to come out and poke around checking out the bird life.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the Sabino Natural Reserve. Rachael passed through here on her hike yesterday claiming she saw many bunnies here, but none today though.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view back toward Lake Iseo from the Sabino Natural Reserve.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view from the Sabino Natural Reserve. Obviously a spot that merits a second, slower look.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view from our picnic break, at the high point of the ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I assumed at the time that this display in Gussago was honoring the Giro, but I’m not sure now. I don’t see any evidence that they came through here this year.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 46 miles, 1,300’; for the tour: 1,624 miles, 67,400’

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 1,624 miles (2,614 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0