Did We Anger You Thor? - Powered by the Pedals - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2022

Did We Anger You Thor?

Saying good bye to the Tetons from Black Rock Creek. Looks great even though the view is hazy.
Heart 7 Comment 0
The barn was spotted near Buffalo Creek or River or Valley…ya gotta look hard…sorry.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The pea soup green machine at the top of the pass.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Max GordonOnly 9,000?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian GordonRelax we’re coming into Colorado soon and then we’ll go up!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Dan arriving at the top of the Togwotee Pass.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Anil PillaiDoordash delivery?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Looking south from the top of the Togwotee Pass
Heart 5 Comment 0
Just “wow” scenery coming down from the pass and around a corner.
Heart 11 Comment 0
Another section of the “wow”.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A whole different landscape a few miles out from the town of Dubois,WY.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Sign of the day. Don’t think I’ll win but it was nice to be asked to run. I think Kevin Costner is running for Montana Governor (at least in the show Yellowstone), maybe we can be friends.
Heart 10 Comment 2
Keith AdamsOr at least Facebook friends.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian GordonToo funny. How are you doing? We can it out of here and text if you like.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
It’s either a mine entrance or where they buried folks after they hung them. Oh yeah, this is right in downtown Dubois, WY.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today started off with more views of the Tetons and another breakfast at the Jackson Lodge.  Dan and I got free really big brownies from Bobby our waiter and off we went to Dubois, WY. 

Remember that climb I told you about yesterday?  Well it was everything I had hoped for…great road (and not too much traffic), beautiful views (and varied landscapes, too), and Goldilocks weather (just right). We crossed the continental divide again (this time at 9,584 feet) and then reached the top of Togwotee Pass at 9,658 feet.  I’ll add some pictures from the top of the pass later (or they be up front depending upon what the app chooses to do). After the top of the pass, there was about 9 miles of screaming downhill. And no the downhill doesn’t scream, I do.  Was treated to some unusual landscape on the way down (pictures to follow). The rest of the way into Dubois, WY was mostly downhill/flat with a few climbs thrown in to keep us honest. 

Why today’s title?  Well it was a beautiful day and then I stopped to put sunscreen on my already burnt nose. I’m thinking that must have angered Thor, because there was an almost immediate change in weather. The wind picked up, the temperature dropped from 86 degrees to 64 degrees, the sun hid behind the clouds, and the hail and rain began to fall. Sorry Thor but Mrs G and Alice require us to wear lots of sunscreen…nothing personal my friend.  Fortunately the storm didn’t last long, but the wind didn’t go away so putting up tents was an adventure. 

I found the sign of the day near the end of the ride. What you can take away from it is not anything about my political affiliation but rather that in my short time in Wyoming, I have clearly made an impression on the locals. 

I did find a couple of barns, and I’ll share the best picture I could take. They all seem to be so far off the road here in Wyoming. 

For tomorrow we’ve got about a 70 mile ride on our schedule and it’s almost all downhill except when it’s not.  We’ll stop in Lander and camp before getting up and doing it all again…and you won’t hear me complain about that at all. The best thing coming up is that in just a handful of days, Dan and I get to see our wives in Breckinridge, CO. 

Most of you are reading this in the morning, so instead of good night…good morning!

Ian

Today's ride: 69 miles (111 km)
Total: 3,021 miles (4,862 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Michele GordonHail ? 20 degree temperature drop 😳 good lord 😜 have mercy
So glad you are wearing your sunscreen πŸ˜‰
I imagine it must be so difficult to decide which pictures to post …they are alllllll so beautiful
Enjoy the ride baby 😎see ya sooooon 😘
Reply to this comment
1 year ago