Lugo to Santiago de Compostela - Toulouse to Porto 2019 - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2019

Lugo to Santiago de Compostela

Phew.

Check out that elevation profile. Looks like the back of a dragon. A day of many short and draining hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was a long day.  Too tell you the truth, today is a bit of a blur.  We arrived late into Santiago at 8pm and quickly checked into our hotel, showered, ate, and worked on the journal for a bit.  

The details about today’s ride will have to come later.....if details ever do manage to emerge from my brain at a later time.  

Okay,  back to today’s entry.

The consequences of leaving later in the morning and putting in longer days also means that we roll into towns later as well.  By the time we shower and eat, there really is not much time to actually do any sightseeing.  My short early morning walk around Lugo was, unfortunately, all we saw of this town that clearly deserved more exploration.  

Early morning view from the 5th floor of our hotel in Lugo. Mendez Nunez Hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another perspective.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are definitely the accidental pilgrims. When originally planning this trip, we knew we would cross and cycle along many of the Camino routes that all end in Santiago.  But, we did not anticipate following it to the extent that we are.  For the last several days we have been primarily on the Camino Primativo along with the hardy walkers: some of whom walk hundreds of kms to reach Santiago.  At times, the walkers are on pathways that skirt the side of roads or dip into the countryside   But, surprisingly, the pilgrims are also walking along the side of busy roads. 

St. Mary’s Cathedral. Better known as the Lugo Cathedral. Erected in the 12th century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
UNESCO world heritage site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Early morning walkers and joggers on the old Roman Wall surrounding Lugo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Slate roof. Cathedral spire.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Abandoned building. Lugo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Camino Primitivo travels through Lugo on route to the final destination for most pilgrims, Santiago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just follow the brass inlaid shells through the city.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This house along the Camino was adorned with this relief of a pilgrim on route to Santiago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We followed the Camino for the first part of the day and ended up on this. Some rattling and jarring riding ensued until we found the road. Let me tell you. It was an adventure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now let’s find that road we want.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We loved cycling through the aroma of the eucalyptus groves throughout this region. Camino trail marker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We cycled along small undulating roads for the first 40kms today. They really meander and dipsy doodle all over the place. Not the best choice of roads if you want to put some kms behind you.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sue caught me with this one.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Camino trail cairn.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 110 km (68 miles)
Total: 1,138 km (707 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0