In Cefalu: the Rocca - In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - CycleBlaze

April 25, 2019

In Cefalu: the Rocca

We’re so pleased that we made time for the climb up the Rocca this time through.  It isn’t a long or especially difficult climb - maybe a mile and a half to the top, at an elevation of 250 meters - but you’ll want good shoes and water.  And some cash.  It costs 4 euros per to get in, and the entrance gate is far enough above town that you’ll hate going back for money if you forgot.  And don’t lose your ticket, because they’ll check for it on your way back down.

It’s a great hike on multiple levels.  The views are definitely worth the walk up, but the ruins make a great accent.  There is a layer about halfway up, at the spot where the town was relocated for defensive purposes after the fall of the Roman Empire.  There are ramparts, shells of residential structures and baking ovens, and the even older ruins of the so-called Temple of Diana.

Continuing up, it’s a bit steeper and rougher climb to the summit and the ruins of the old castle.  Views are more impressive the further up you go, the ruins of the castle walls are evocative, and the vegetation is great.  It’s a very popular attraction, and not such an arduous walk as to deter children, the less fit, and elderly folks with bad knees from making it up and safely back down again.  And it’s a large space, so there’s solitude to be found also.  A perfect afternoon’s outing.

The lower ramparts, about halfway up to the fortress that crowns the rock. This is the level where the city relocated to after the fall of the Roman Empire, to defend themselves from pirates and other invaders.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cefalu and its beach. Our host here said that from up higher you can see as far as Palermo on a clear day.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The entrance to the Temple of Diana, a megalithic monument from the fourth century BC.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Admiring the view east along the coast from the fortress walls.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view east. We’ll head this way tomorrow when we leave town and continue the journey.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This is really a fabulous spot, and well worth the climb up. A great way to spend the afternoon.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rachael was so proud of herself for making it up here, the highest spot on the rock. She wasn’t so pleased a few minutes later though when she couldn’t get down again. Help! Somebody, save me!
Heart 4 Comment 0
The views down and out are impressive, but there’s a lot to see around your feet also.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We’ve been admiring the colorful thistles for weeks now. About time one made it into the journal, before they all turn brown.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At first I thought this was a thistle blossom also, but I don’t think so. Sorry I didn’t think to take a photo of the whole plant.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like some kind of knapweed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurea
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The maquis is starting to take its summer coloration over the past few days.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Tree spurge, one of the primary components of maquis here. Earlier in the tour spurges were in full bloom, and bright yellow.
Heart 4 Comment 0
As we see ourselves
Heart 5 Comment 0
As others see us
Heart 6 Comment 0
After enjoying our picnic lunch in a shady spot on the summit, we begin the steep walk down. We follow a different trail most of the way down and experience views we didn’t see on the way up.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back in town again, Rachael insists that we include this spotty pair in the journal. She likes seeing cute sleepy dogs, safely behind bars.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Back in town, we’re tempted to stop at a bar with inviting outdoor seating. We each have our reasons - Rachael heads for the facilities while I sip at a refreshing Moretti.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Andrea BrownWhat a perfect day in a perfect setting! I’m so glad you share these with us.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownIt was pretty perfect, alright. Including dinner, but who wants to see another set of food photos, anyway?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonI do!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonAnd dito what Andrea wrote.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonOh, OK. I have a meal in mind coming up in a few days. patience!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago