Sant Agata di Militello - In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - CycleBlaze

April 26, 2019

Sant Agata di Militello

Just a placeholder, for anyone wondering if we fell off a cliff.  Our apartment in Sant Agata is experiencing technical difficulties, and their WiFi is unavailable.  Our phone’s not so hotspot has enough juice for a minimal post, but not photos.  We’ll catch up in the next town.

A bit later

OK.  We’re In Randazzo now, the WiFi is fine, and we can play catch-up again.  There’s not that much to say about the ride to Sant Agata anyway, so this will go pretty quickly.  This was the easiest ride of the tour, without a doubt.  Straight east along the coastline, the roads generally flat, and with a decent tailwind.  We’re on the coast road the whole way, and traffic is just fine.  It’s the same highway that we hated west of Cefalu, but here we have probably a twentieth of the traffic load.  People must stream in from Palermo but then stop at Cefalu.  It makes for nice riding, and we saw several other riders during the day.

You would think that a forty mile downwind ride along the coast would be brilliant, but we didn’t really care for it that much.  It wasn’t all that interesting, and even a bit monotonous.  The main thing was the air quality though - as was the case for the last two days also, the sky was hazy and grey, and visibility poor.  It looks like the coastline is quite dramatic in spots, but when you can’t see clearly beyond a few miles and the sea looks pale and dull, it’s just not that inspiring.

I thought that perhaps this was pollution from Palermo and we were experiencing a significant temperature inversion, but that’s not what is happening here.  It was explained to us the next night in Randazzo: this is the Sirocco, a wind blowing in from northern Africa carrying dust from the Sahara.  It really feels quite unhealthy.

One theme of the day was our search for a bike store.  We were chagrined two days back to realize that we are traveling without a patch kit.  Not sure what happened here - maybe we lost it along the way, or failed to pack it when we left Palermo.  In any case, we feel insecure and need a replacement.  There’s a bike store on the eastern outskirts of Cefalu that opens at 8:30, so we plan to stop there on the way through.  Annoyingly, it is open in the morning for only one hour, so it’s closed already by the time we get there.  We keep an eye out for the rest of the day, and even optimistically stop in at two tire stores.  No luck though.  Then, amazingly, tonight we find a small shop one block from our apartment.  And, after rummaging through his shelves, he finds that he does have a kit.  I feel much better.

As usual, we leave town by the most efficient route.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The coast road east of Cefalu is quite fine for cycling. We expected it to be much busier and were pleasantly surprised.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I’ve fallen behind a bit, but catch Rachael waiting for a train. We sit for what feels like five or ten minutes, until a short train whizzes by and the bars raise again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just some guard tower east of Cefalu. I didn’t see a sign, and can’t place it on the map.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back west toward Cefalu, about eight miles away. You can barely make out its headland through the haze.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Castel de Tusa, a pretty spot along the coast here.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Santo Stefano di Camastra is a major ceramics town. We must have passed twenty ceramics outlets here.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The ceramics stores were attractive, but we aren’t really shoppers. We’d have been much happier to find a bike shop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Always nice to get a bit of encouragement.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Marina di Caronia, where we broke for lunch on a bench beside the road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Arriving in Sant Agata, we are stopped once more by the train. Same story - long wait, short train.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We’re staying in an apartment again tonight.  This one, in addition to being annoyingly hard to find and having no WiFi, has a unique character.  It’s another split level, with the bed upstairs.  The stairs are very steep, and are a design I’ve never seen - it’s really two narrow and adjacent staircases, with alternating stairs.  You climb and descend by walking both sides, alternating your steps between the two  Unusual, unnatural, and a bit dangerous.

Image not found :(
Staying in apartments has advantages, and disadvantages. One negative is that they’re often poorly marked and difficult to find. This was worse than some.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Bruce LellmanWith directions like this you probably knew the staircase was going to be a problem as well.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenHi Scott - my solution to finding our accommodation is to use a bearing line. This works well for us given we typically book hotels which we can locate on the app we use. This might not be so easy when booking an apartment. I use Galileo (now called Guru) which allows you to place a bearing line to your Hotel or destination point. So at any point in our ride I can see the bearing line and the distance away. As we get closer to the hotel I can pick the best route to get there by viewing the bearing line. I hope I explained that properly. Could you do with Rwgps which I believe you use.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith ClassenThanks, Keith. I’ve never heard of a bearing line before, and will have to look it up. Actually, we’d routed almost exactly to the room, but there was no signage to confirm anything and the address listed for the apartment was incomplete and didn’t include the street number. None of these little alleys had street names either, so we did some wandering around looking for clues before finally giving up and phoning.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Another apartment with a unique design. Good brain exercise.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanI had a dorm room in which I built a loft. This reminds me of it a lot.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
I think there’s a reason we haven’t seen this design solution before.
Heart 4 Comment 4
Jacquie GaudetIt makes me think of the plumbing in a house my brother used to own: made of "lunchbox-length" copper pipes. That sort of thing wasn't unusual in the Trail, BC, area.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Jacquie GaudetLooking at it again, it looks like it was originally a "ship ladder" type of staircase, with bits added on alternating sides to provide deeper treads. I guess if you lived there you'd get used to it.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetI think that’s right, and you would get used to it with practice. Salvatore raced up and down it when giving us a demo. Much easier on the knees, actually.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Later, we walk down to the waterfront to find a meal.  While there, we pass by seemingly hundreds of market stalls, most of which are in the process of setting up for business - presumably for tomorrow morning.  It is really amazing how huge this market is, especially given that Sant Agata is a fairly small place.  The market feels huge tonight, but in the morning it’s much bigger still.  I measured it on the way out of town, and it was a full mile long - I think the biggest street market we’ve ever seen.

It feels big already, and it’s just getting started.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This gives a feeling of scale. We’re about at the midpoint of the market, and there are booths for as far as you can see.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This market literally has everything. I could have gotten a nice shiny cowbell, but settled for some nuts.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 41 miles, 1,400’; for the tour, 921 miles, 63,500’

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 919 miles (1,479 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonMight not have been one of your most exciting rides, but I loved the mix of countryside and village streets in the video. As always, great choice of music.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago