Matías Romero Avendaño - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2021

Matías Romero Avendaño

We left our nice digs about seven thirty this morning, hoping to miss the heat of the day.  The forecast was for a tailwind of about fifteen kilometers an hour but it only made it appearance at midday.   The journals I have read of people cycling across the isthmus all highlighted the struggles they had with the headwinds from the Gulf of Mexico so the lack of help from the tailwind was always going to be better than what seems to be the usual wind pattern.  The area around La Ventosa, about fifteen kilometers into the journey, has more wind turbines than I have ever seen.  There was a fair bit of bird activity  and I managed to get a few shots of a Tropical Kingbird while we had stopped to look at the wind farms.

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus)
Heart 3 Comment 0
I took numerous photos of the wind farms but just couldn't capture the scale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yep, it get windy here.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then we started a climb of about two hundred and fifty meters.  Soon after the start of the climb we came across this seepage of thermal water that was depositing minerals on the road cutting.  The water was, to use Leigh's words, as hot as any shower we have had in Mexico.  It really was!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

While the road was busy at times, particularly after midday, we enjoyed a wide shoulder for almost the whole way.  About thirty kilometers into the ride we saw the first of the signs prohibiting cyclists on the road.  A bit late, if you ask me.  Anyway, nobody seemed to mind our presence, not even the few police officers that we passed.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were pretty tired when we arrived in Matías Romero Avendaño.  Leigh was feeling a bit nauseous again and we opted for the first of the two hotels we had decided to check out, the Hotel La Finca De Los Abuelos.  It is over priced but the shower was strong and as hot as the thermal waters along the road.

A shorter and easier day to Palomares, the next real town up the R185, is on the cards for tomorrow.

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 784 km (487 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0