Journal Comments - The eleventh step ... Mexico City to Cancun via Guatemala & Belize - CycleBlaze

From The eleventh step ... Mexico City to Cancun via Guatemala & Belize by Jean-Marc Strydom

Jean-Marc Strydom replied to a comment by Mike Ayling on Flores

Ian Player was a legend in wildlife conservation. He started the Wilderness Leadership School and was a prime mover in rescuing the southern race of White Rhino (Ceratotherium simum) from extinction. I had forgotten about his involvement with the Duzi Marathon. Wasn't he the founder of it ?

4 hours ago
Mike Ayling commented on Flores

Hi Jean Marc
Finishing the Comrades in the top 1.25% of runners is a very respectable result. Re Dusi paddlers transitioning to the Comrades in my time they introduced the Ian Player trophy for the best combined time in the two events in a calendar year. Ian the big brother of Gary Player the golfer was one of the participants in the first race and may have been the winner. He joined the Natal Parks Board as a ranger and ended up quite high in that organisation.

4 hours ago
Jean-Marc Strydom replied to a comment by Scott Anderson on El Ceibo

I learnt to keep my toenails short from long distance running. Neglecting to do so meant you were certain to lose a toenail or two on ultra marathon runs.

16 hours ago
Jean-Marc Strydom replied to a comment by Mike Ayling on El Ceibo

The Duzi is a toughee and far more competitve. Comrades is almost a just a verrry long fun run (apart from the guys at the sharp end of the race). Many of the top Duzi paddlers (Danny Biggs springs to mind) were also great comrades runners. I only ran three Comrades with my best finish being 6:43 which placed me 172 out of just over fifteen thousand runners.

16 hours ago
Scott Anderson commented on El Ceibo

I can’t believe you got that much mileage from a pair of socks! You must do a much better job with trimming your nails than I do.

19 hours ago
Mike Ayling commented on El Ceibo

Hi Jean Marc
20 years is not bad for a pair of socks.
Living in Pietermaritzburg I did the Duzi kayak marathon half a dozen times in the nineteen sixties but never got around to a Comrades.
I am enjoying your journal.

Scott Anderson commented on a photo in Wejlib-ha

Fantastic.

Jacquie Gaudet commented on a photo in South of Palenque

Funny, the first (and so far only) time I saw leafcutter ants was also in Palenque--in 1983. Good to see they are still thriving there.

Jean-Marc Strydom commented on a photo in Just outside the Zona Arqueológica Palenque

Thanks Bill !

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on a photo in Just outside the Zona Arqueológica Palenque

Dragon fruit!

Scott Anderson commented on a photo in Acayucan

We saw one of these in Tucson last winter, an accidental well north of its normal range.

2 weeks ago
Jean-Marc Strydom commented on a photo in Nuevo Moleros

Thanks Scott. The money shot should have been when it had crept all the way down the branch and nabbed an insect off the surface of the water but at that moment it head was behind a twig on the branch.

2 weeks ago
Scott Anderson commented on a photo in Nuevo Moleros

What a wonderful shot!

2 weeks ago
Jean-Marc Strydom replied to a comment by Scott Anderson on Santa Maria Jalapa del Marques

In retrospect, it wasn't the word I wanted to use. It was a word we used when I was a child instead of nauseous yet it doesn't have quite the same meaning.

3 weeks ago
Scott Anderson commented on Santa Maria Jalapa del Marques

Bilious. Good word choice. I’ll have to remember it for that special occasion.

3 weeks ago