Back in South Africa - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

December 5, 2021

Back in South Africa

We are back in Port Elizabeth and another tour has ended in a way that we hadn't planned, although the risk of this happening was always there.  About the only thing we had still wanted to do in Mexico was to visit a cenote so we hadn't missed out on too much by leaving four weeks early.  We would have had a week or two that we would have had to fill if we hadn't although I'm sure we would have filled it easily.  The main reason for leaving early was to avoid the uncertainty that we found oppressive when we were stuck in Argentina when COVID first struck. 

When we had initially booked our flights to Mexico we had not checked Lufthansa's baggage policy assuming that all non-American airlines happily accept sports goods, including bicycles, with not extra charges.  We weren't billed for the bicycles when coming to Mexico because our first sector was with a South African regional airline that doesn't charge but we were hit with an extra charge of more than seven thousand pesos per bicycles when checking in at Cancun International!  To add insult to injury the immegration authorities forced us to pay the six hundred peso per person entry fee again because I didn't have a receipt of the first payment.  They wouldn't accept the entry on my credit card statement, even though the dates and amounts matched and the reference on the statement was the Mexican Immegration authority.  I sensed that they are encouraged to shake down tourists if given the chance.

Checking in at CanCun International.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These officials were providing the Lufthansa call center with my credit card details so they could rape us with the bicycle charges. They weren't happy with me taking a picture but I wanted a record of who had my card details. I immediately used the app on my phone to disable my credit card once they were finished.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first sector from Cancun to Frankfurt happened to be with Lufthansa's low cost subsidiary.  Almost nothing was provided that didn't have to be paid for.  They even kept the temperature in the cabin as low as possible to encourage passengers to buy a blanket.  The entertainment system was free but you had to buy earphones to use it.  And of course there was no way I was going to pay an arm and a leg for a beer or a glass of wine after being put over the barrel just to get ourselves and the bicycles on the aeroplane.

Frankfurt was covered in a blanket of light snow when we landed and it was a chilly one degree outside.  Being a low cost airline we had to take a bus from the apron to the terminal and the almost freezing temperature was very obvious having come from balmy Cancun.  Ten hours in Terminal One at Frankfurt Airport passed as slowly as ten hours in an airport does.  At least the wifi worked well and the seats we found were comfortable.  The airport was quite empty with only five flights after six in the evening with our flight being the second last at ten o'clock that night.

Our digs for the day at Frankfurt Airport. Leigh was catching up on sleep.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The plane from Frankfurt to Johannesburg was practically empty.  We had a whole row of seats each to ourselves so we could stretch out and sleep well.  It was one of the best sleeps I have had on a long haul flight beaten only by the rescue flight back to South Africa from Sao Paulo when all the lock downs started.

Then we had another long lay over at OR Tambo International outside Johannesburg while we waited for our flight to Port Elizabeth.  The check-in staff at the low cost regional airline we were on were absolutely wonderful.  It seems that the baggage handlers in Frankfurt had left one of the bicycle boxes lying on its side in the snow and the cardboard had changed to tissue paper - how it survived the flight to Johannesburg I don't know.  We got it wrapped in plastic at OR Tambo and the SA Airlink check-in staff went out of their way to make sure it was looked after.

We spent much of our time at OR Tambo in one of the restaurants. the table next to us was occupied by the South African Rugby Sevens team who were returning from Dubai where they had just one the latest round of the World Rugby Sevens series (they have won the last four rounds). They are the top ranked team in the world and the current holders of the World Rugby Sevens Series title but were so humble, willing to pose for photos and chat to fans without any cajoling. Here they are with some of the restaurant staff.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Back in PE, we checked in to the airport hotel and will start getting our lives organized tomorrow.  Hopefully we can get a few tours done in South Africa while we wait for Omicron to subside.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Suzanne GibsonSorry for the abrupt end to your tour! I enjoyed following you over the past months. Hope you can get back on the road soon.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomThanks Suzanne. Hopefully we will be able to do a few shorter tours in in South Africa while we wait for the dust to (almost) settle again. Leigh and I have already discussed a few possibilities.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownWhat a pain, to have to return early and go through all of that hassle. But I'm glad you made it home safely and can start daydreaming about your next wonderful trip.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierYes, glad you made it home OK. You two are much more adventurous cycle tourers than we are. I’ve really enjoyed following along - I’d never be brave enough to attempt the trip you took!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Andrea BrownThanks Andrea. In retrospect I regret my negative sounding post above. It's not a good idea to type up an entry when still knackered after all the traveling!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Rich FrasierGlad you have enjoyed the journal Rich. Don't discount Mexico. I think it is a relatively safe and easy country in which to cycle tour. I think you might enjoy it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesThanks for the great tour. I enjoyed seeing lots more of Mexico than I ever will otherwise. Glad you're home safely.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Kathleen JonesHi Kathleen. I'm glad you enjoyed it. We certainly enjoyed Mexico. It was quite different to what we were expecting. It is a large and varied country that is worth visiting again.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago