Niagara Falls to Medina - Low Bridge - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2022

Niagara Falls to Medina

The Start/End of the Erie Canal Trail

Heart 1 Comment 0
A historical recreation of the original Lockport locks. Black powder and strong backs and arms cut through three miles of solid rock escarpment known as the Big Cut.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tourist bling and souvenirs date way, way back on the Canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hand push operated gates.
A not so low bridge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sorry I don't remember what tree we decided it was.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Very typical surface of crushed stone. It rides like rough chip and seal surface but with fat tires at low pressure more than manageable. Occasional soft gravel pools presented something of a challenge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A not so very low bridge. There was a steady stream but limited number of motor yachts heading mostly in the direction of Lake Erie.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mountain gearing is optional. It really flat with the occasional climb off the trail to a town or city.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Flour and grain storage cave along the Canal. These mills fed New York City and beyond and made the City the export harbor and financial center of the new nation. Shipping to the other states and across the Atlantic.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A bend in the EC! The scenery and tow path can get a bit monotonous at times but the history keeps it all alive and very interesting.
Heart 3 Comment 0
CaptionCutAdd line aboveAdd line belowDelete
Heart 3 Comment 0
CaptionCutAdd line aboveAdd line belowDelete
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old canal after its widening in the 1840. The Erie Canal was financially very successful as a government sponsored project. Tolls and taxes paid for it ten years after its start.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our official start on the Erie Canal Tow Path. Photo by WEH
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Madina accommodations: The Bunkhaus Hostel, 4 stars. Simple hostel nicely done. Fruit, hot and cold beverages healthy but limited snack like food. In the heart of the town. Ate at Zambistro over looking the Canal for an excellent meal and local cider. The cities name appears to have no relationship to the holy Islamic city of the same name (with its various English spellings) in what is today Saudi Arabia.

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 116 km (72 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0