Prolog - Low Bridge - CycleBlaze

Prolog

There's still some PT Barnum at Niagara Falls, or as my dear mother would say "pure tourist crap". $25.00 to get the watermarks removed. Everyone going to the Cave of the Wind gets their picture taken before continuing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On a back road off the scenic lakeside path the industries that despoiled the Falls with visual and chemical pollution a century ago are hopefully behaving themselves these days. On our return to our hotel on the Lake Erie side there was effluent discharging into the lake. It was perfectly clear and hopefully just rain runoff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
MJ at the cataracts at Goat Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canadian or Horseshoe Falls. The most iconic of the three falls.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonAstonishing. Maybe we should have gone when we were in the neighborhood.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Despite the shoulder to shoulder crowds, only a very few got up as close as possible to the onrushing torrent. The old water man had to put his arm into the cascading torrent and glad I did.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Truly awe inspiring Bridal Veil and American Falls. The Cave of the Winds is worth the price of admission. The author couldn't restrain himself from sticking his arm into the falls - truly a rush.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A group of Old Order Mennonites taking in the wonder of Niagara Falls. The diversity peoples from around the world drawn to the Falls and its message gives us hope for the Earth.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The brink or crest of Horseshoe Falls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the US side there has been some effort to push "civilization" back away from the Falls. On the Canadian side not so much.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I find it upsetting. Upsetting to the eye. Upsetting to the wonder of Earth. But so often down through the ages there seems to be tension and even competition between the deities Gaia and Forturna.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old, very old, millstones were seen in several places along the Canal. The Canal made fertile planes of western New York the bread basket to the Atlantic Coast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Canadian hydro station, the US has a similar power plant. Together they divert 50% of Niagara Falls water for electricity. This is where Nikola Tesla and George Westinghouse changed the course of history with the first large scale AC, alternating current, power plant which lite up Buffalo and eclipsed Thomas Edison's efforts in New York City using DC, direct current.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A restful first glimpse of the Falls near the Amtrak station. Photo by Walton
Heart 0 Comment 0

Accommodations: Two nights at the Aashram Hotel near the Niagara River. We give it 3 stars. Very clean, a reasonable continental breakfast and were offered a copy of the Bhagavad-Gita (the song of the Lord) at checkout.  There were many South Indians at the hotel and most certainly at the Falls. A good place to stay as it put us closer to the EC Trail start.

Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 52 km (32 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0