Into Guerrero Negro - The Not So Long Way Down - CycleBlaze

November 27, 2018

Into Guerrero Negro

Desert camp to Guerrero Negro

This morning, before we began cycling, Dea and I played an epic game of Eureka Ball. The story of this game would undoubtedly make for a great blog post all of its own, but I'm getting a bit tired of writing, so I'll just summarise. I was at one stage a whopping nine points behind, 4-13, and yet I staged one of my now legendary comebacks to win 21-17 with a flying catch. It was a magical moment, it really was. We couldn't take photos during the game of course, but after it was over Dea tossed me a couple of balls while also holding the camera in order to recreate my brilliance, for your viewing pleasure:

My 'ready' stance.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ah dammit, I fumbled it. Let's try again!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Oh no, I went the wrong way!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Well, we weren't quite able to recreate my brilliance on camera, but you get the idea. Here's a picture of my bike, ready to start the day:

Image not found :(
My bike, ready to start the day.
Heart 5 Comment 0

And here is one of Dea, walking back to the road. Always a bit of a challenge, pushing the bike through the sand:

Image not found :(
There she is.
Heart 3 Comment 0
"♫ Cool desert plant of the day ♫" This is a tough one, Bill, kind of a two-for-one.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltYou are correct! It is tough. Any photos with more detail?

It seems to possibly resemble Adam's tree, covered with some kind of lichen.

https://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/img_query
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We only had 25 kilometres left to ride to Guerrero Negro, and we made pretty light work of the first 20, which brought us to the 28th parallel, the dividing line between the northern part of the peninsular, and Baja California Sur. This important milestone, signifying that we had somehow made some southerly progress, was marked by a military area, a hotel, and a big whale skeleton.

Image not found :(
A big whale skeleton.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Not sure about the first word, haven't got that far with Pilmsler yet.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Sue PriceBienvenitos is welcome!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Just after entering Baja California South we came across a cafe, the Cafe Ojo Liebre, that we knew from warmshowers let cyclists camp for free. We stopped for a coffee and to enquire as to whether they had any cyclists staying presently that we might make friends with. Alas there was no sign of Nick nor anyone else, but the wifi allowed me to check my emails, and Nick had been in touch. He'd stayed at the hotel we'd just passed, but it seemed he'd already fled the area for a town further along the road, no doubt because of the rumours he'd heard about Guerrero Negro.

The cyclist-friendly Cafe Ojo Liebre.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We decided against camping at the cafe ourselves, for we were still five kilometres outside of town and we had set our hearts on a bed and a pizza (which we had not had for almost two weeks now). So we rode on into Guerrero Negro at last, and found ourselves a motel room for the very reasonable price of 250 pesos ($10 US). It certainly wasn't the swankiest place in town but it was all we needed. We settled in and then headed out to see if Guerrero Negro lived up to its reputation.

Well, we walked for a good half an hour through town to find a pizza. The pizza turned out to be a bit disappointing, but the town was quite alright. It wasn't a sh!thole at all; it was, as I expected, a more Mexican town with less fancy tourist stuff, but plenty of Latin American charm. There were lots of little taco restaurants and stray dogs and things, pretty alright really.

Unbelievably tiny little small dog that came up to us while we waited for our pizza.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Thumbs up for the pizza we found after walking past Mexican taco stands for half an hour.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Look, it's not that bad!
Heart 4 Comment 0
See, they even have bars just for ladies, how nice.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Walking back to our motel room after doing some shopping on the way.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our motel, perhaps the cheapest in town. Don't lean on the bannisters.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The plan was to spend the rest of the day working hard to get this blog up-to-date, but unfortunately we were staying at the cheapest motel in town, and the wifi didn't work well enough.

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 679 km (422 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Sue PriceAh, now that's our kind of mileage right there! We have reached the "maƱana" stage of worrying about where we are and how we will get to the next spot. Fortunately for us, we are not encumbered with your dislike of motorized transport and will be pinning our hopes on catching the local bus down to Campeche tomorrow - 157 km in two days is just a bit too much for us in this heat!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago