One of Those Days - Know When to Fold Them - CycleBlaze

November 24, 2023

One of Those Days

Waipukurau To Wimbledon

To lose one cycle-touring mate in the first week of a tour, could be considered unlucky. To lose two might be described as negligent. But it wasn’t. It was in the best interest of safety.

Joel’s injured ankle wasn’t worse this morning, but his mobility isn’t good enough to tackle the next three days of relatively remote area riding. So we investigated a few options for transport of Joel and Tony from Waipukurau back to Wellington. The best one was to pay the local bike shop to dissemble, box and freight the bikes, then they’d be certain of seats on the daily bus service. 

Many thanks to Chris and Wayne of Bay Motorcycles Waipukurau. And to the manager of Waipukurau Holiday Park. You all helped make a difficult situation into an easier one.

So by 12 noon, Joel and Tony had bus tickets for a 3pm bus to Wellington, and the bike shop had taken charge of their bikes. And I began cycling in worsening weather toward a hamlet called Wimbledon.

It took me over 6 hours to cover the 60+km. Rolling hills, rain squalls, wind blasts and high country scenery kept me entertained and soaked until I rolled into the tiny settlement of Wimbledon. The good news was that the pub had a cabin, and it was vacant. 

Today was one of those cycle touring days verging on ‘epic’ thanks to the persistent wild weather. I was very grateful to discover that the hamlet of Wimbledon had the tavern and the cabin. 

My lightweight tent would not have be a match for the gales in self described The Land of Ranges.

The Hub in Waipukurau. A combination of library, information and booking centre. The staff were very helpful when we were trying to organise a safe way for Joel and Tony, and their bikes, to return to Wellington
Heart 1 Comment 0
Spotted in the Main Street.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Roadside flooding. There’s a lot of water about.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Evidence of the previous floods caused by a cyclone in February.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Interesting but non functional
Heart 1 Comment 0
Road side pastures and marsh
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
An accommodation option but I decided to pedal a bit further
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The world’s longest place name.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonOh, there it is. I was trying to get the point from the previous slide. Pretty long, alright.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithTo Scott AndersonScott I’ve been told that there’s a Welsh town with a longer name. But this Maori name is the longest name for a place ie geographic feature.

Imagine facing either of them in a spelling test.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Plenty of these washouts on the road to Wimbledon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Change of districts.
Heart 2 Comment 0
High country views in between rain squalls
Heart 3 Comment 0
Forest glade
Heart 3 Comment 0
Native pigeon. It’s a big bird.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonPretty big bird, but a pretty short name: Kererū.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
My splendidly isolated cabin for the night. Behind Wimbledon Pub.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The resident guard rooster
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kitchen window view
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Wimbledon Pub. Great spot to visit.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 533 km (331 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonA shame about your friends. Glad you made it in safe.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithTo Scott AndersonHi Scott yes it’s disappointing that Joel and Tony couldn’t ride the last few days. Fortunately they did ride the most epic part over the range. That was quite an experience.

Now that I’ve just finished that final stretch of backroad to Masterton, I’m convinced we made the right decision.

If they’d pushed on with Joel’s injury, (and Tony also had respiratory problems) we’d have turned a minor problem into a major one.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Joel KrewazSpecial mention of Chris and Wayne of Bay Motorcycles Waipukurau. Taking great sympathy on my dud ankle they took Tony's and my bike, boxed them up and sent them on to Wellington with a maximum of service and a minimum of fuss. The manager of Waipukurau Holiday Park also went out of her way to provide ice and advice. The kindness to cycle tourists was crtainly a feature of the ride.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithJoel thanks for that mention of the bike shop guys. I’ll do an edit of the journal.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago