Infallible Weather Forecaster - Know When to Fold Them - CycleBlaze

November 25, 2023

Infallible Weather Forecaster

Wimbledon to Glenn Ross

Early start and early finish today. I was cycling by 7:15am and reached the next stop, Glenn Ross farm backpackers by 12:30. The weather was marginally better than yesterday but still windy with shower squalls.

As Joel and Tony returned to Wellington yesterday, this was another day of solo riding. The area is fairly remote and I saw very few vehicles for most of the day. About a dozen cars in total and no large trucks.

The village of Pongaroa was an excellent lunch stop. It’s only 10km from Glenn Ross.  I had a pub meal there, bought some groceries and talked to a local farmer. He told more stories about the massive cyclone which hit the region in February leaving a trail of destruction.

I found the bike packers accommodation at Glen Ross farm, despite a very low profile road side sign. 

The owners weren’t answering phone calls and the building looked semi abandoned from the outside. Inside of the building looks recently used but the power was off. There was no one else about, so I let myself in to a room.

The arrangement seems to be payment of $40 by leaving cash. It’s a very comfortable and good value accommodation.

Dinner was my last dehydrated pack. Moroccan Lamb & couscous. Then I used the excellent wifi to update my journal.

Tomorrow I should be able to cover the 80km backroad (and about 500 metres of ascent/descent) to Masterton by mid afternoon, and then catch a train back to Wellington. Then a ferry to Picton on Monday or Tuesday.

I going to a family wedding in Nelson on Saturday, so I’m heading back there within a few days.

Historical wheels at Wimbledon
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rain and flood damage to roads
Heart 2 Comment 0
Longer sections of gravel here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wild weather continues to move in
Heart 5 Comment 0
Caution needed when cycling on a 20” wheeled bike with skinny tyres
Heart 1 Comment 0
No shortage of water views
Heart 3 Comment 0
The road to Pongaroa
Heart 3 Comment 0
Recent rain has filled the roadside streams
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lunch spot ahead
Heart 3 Comment 0
District map sign
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pastures
Heart 3 Comment 0
Weather forecast is accurate
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The outside of the backpackers was a bit low key. Looks unused.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside was great.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 585 km (363 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Michael HutchingGood progress Graham. We cycled the Rimutaka cycle route from the Hutt over to Wairarapa - nice easyish trail. Coming from the Wairarapa side there was a bit of a hill, though there might be a bridge there now. You can also just keep pedalling around the headland and either turn off to Wainuiomata or keep going around to Eastbourne. Happy travels!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithTo Michael HutchingHi Michael thanks for following the journal and for the helpful tips.
I’ve had a big day of riding to Masterton, and then lucked onto a train. Great rail services and staff here. Very helpful.
So I’m now back in Wellington and booked onto a ferry to Picton tomorrow. From there, all I need to do is make it to Nelson in time for a wedding next weekend.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago