Closing the Circle - Know When to Fold Them - CycleBlaze

November 26, 2023

Closing the Circle

A multi modal day

I was sort of awake at 5:30am; and pedalling from Glen Ross farm backpacker lodge by 7am into a scotch mist drizzle. The aim was to reach Masterton 82 km to the south by end of the day. 

But here I am at Wellington YHA with excellent wifi updating the journal. That’s well over 200km from where I started! How’d that happen? Read on. All will be revealed.

The misty, damp start didn’t last long. The weather improved and by days end it was a sunny day. 

Yet again, there were almost no motor vehicles on the road. Pure bliss. Less than one per hour. And zero big trucks. Perhaps because it is the weekend? Whatever the reason, it was wonderful to have a near empty backroad to cycle on for most of the day.

Although the weather was favourable, the scenic, rolling hills were ever present for about 40 km. Not huge hills. Lots of small ones. From about half way (the pristine hamlet of Alfredton) the road was reasonably flat and even felt down hill occasionally.

That was when the headwinds started so I wouldn’t cycle too fast. They weren’t too strong but very steadying.

The rural views were classically beautiful New Zealand scenes with fluorescent green pastures, cheerful clean sheep and contented cows. 

The only concerns were many large areas of soil erosion and soil slumps. And the clear-felling of pine plantations. The process looks very damaging to soil and waterways. 

By 3.30 pm I’d rolled into downtown Masterton and refueled with an iced coffee and cheese scone. 

By 4pm, I’d arrived at the railway station and discovered an excellent train service. For $20 cash paid onboard, my loaded bike and I could be in Wellington by 6:30 pm. I’d only need to put the bike in a luggage van, me in a carriage seat, and the rest would work out. What a wonderful rail service with helpful staff.

And the plan did work out well. While on the train I booked a room for tonight at Wellington YHA, and  ferry seat to Picton tomorrow.

Todays plan
Heart 1 Comment 0
Idyllic back road cycling
Heart 6 Comment 0
Revealing profile of roadside trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hills are hard cycling but they give many views like this
Heart 2 Comment 0
Signage helps
Heart 3 Comment 0
As close as have been to a Tui feeding
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wonderful roadside shelter and memorial.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I’ve attracted an audience
Heart 2 Comment 0
About half way for today
Heart 3 Comment 0
Alfredton’s church. 1901 it was built.
Heart 3 Comment 0
When wind screen wipers have lichen, it’s a hint that it’s a wet climate.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It’s a sign. Not lost.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lunch stop
Heart 3 Comment 0
For the record. My mess kit.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Advanced planning. I bought this yesterday. I was pleased I did.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Trees have a right to self the fence. This one did.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I agree
Heart 4 Comment 3
Kathleen JonesI like the ‘with care’ part.

Most signs in California say Share the Road also, but some say Cyclists May Use Full Lane. When another sign that says State Law is added below that, it seems drivers get less grumpy about being asked to share the road. Or so a study says.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Jacquie GaudetI like the wide space on the sign between motor vehicle and cyclist. Similar “share the road” signs here in Canada show the vehicle almost touching the cyclists’ elbow.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithTo Kathleen JonesThere’s a slight irony in this sign because this section of road was almost traffic free when I cycled it. There were only a couple of very polite cars per hour, and no big trucks. I almost had the road to myself for a couple days.

Nevertheless it is good to see such signs. They help remind motorists that cyclists are also bona fide road users.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
I started counting but dozed off.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The country side opened up closer to Masterton
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s mine!
Heart 6 Comment 0
Fellow travellers
Heart 2 Comment 0
Change of travel mode. On the 5:45 pm train to Wellington
Heart 3 Comment 0
The bike had a ride in the luggage van. Roll on. Roll off. Wonderful service.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Back in Wellington. The train-bike-train circle is closed.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 84 km (52 miles)
Total: 669 km (415 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0