Always Pay the Ferry Man - Know When to Fold Them - CycleBlaze

November 27, 2023

Always Pay the Ferry Man

Back Across Cook Strait

An early start today. By 6am me and the bike were ensconced in the Liquid Laundromat in Taranaki Street trying to decipher the card operated wash system. It’s a week since the whole wardrobe has had a proper wash. Within an hour that unhygienic situation was remedied. 

Then, smelling of fresh laundry, I cycled over to Cuba Street to have breakfast with Joel and Tony. 

Thankfully they are on the mend. Joel’s ankle is much improved and Tony’s respiratory ailment hasn’t worsened. Improvement needed though.

Their bikes are due to arrive by freight-van on Wednesday. A longer wait than expected. In the meantime they are finding plenty of things to do and see within Wellington.

After a hearty breakfast, I pedaled down to the ferry terminal to check-in well ahead of the 1:30pm sailing time. 

By 5pm, I was in Picton on the South Island after another smooth crossing of Cook Strait.

Tomorrow may be the last day of this tour. 

It depends if the folding bike folds compactly enough to satisfy a bus driver’s discretionary call to allow it on the bus as luggage.
If not, I’ll have a two day ride, over the Whangamoas, back to Nelson. 

There is still time to make it to the wedding.

A wheely clean clothes wash happening here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another cycle tourer’s bike at the ferry terminal. A well set up e-bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tied securely on the car deck of the ferry.
Heart 2 Comment 0
3 hours later, the South Island is spotted
Heart 3 Comment 0
Weather looks good
Heart 0 Comment 0
Accommodation for the night.
Heart 1 Comment 0
How to fill up a room
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 8 km (5 miles)
Total: 677 km (420 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0