Days in Kassel - Wertheim and Beyond - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2021

Days in Kassel

We have been in Kassel for four days now. And we haven't taken the bicycles out of their locked storage room once, although they could easily be rolled out as they are on the ground floor, no steps or obstacles to discourage us. The weather hasn't been particularly favorable, again rain and coldish, and Kassel isn't a very bicycle-friendly city with its many hills, traffic and scarcity of bike paths. We have instead taken advantage of the good public transport system to visit friends all over town. We bought a "Kassel Card", a three-day ticket for two and it cost all of 12 €. I enjoy taking buses and trams and it has been perfect.

Visiting our friends here, all approximately in our age group, has been a great ego boost. All of them are occasional cyclists at the most and they are amazed that we could ride our bikes from Munich to Kassel. We received much admiration and applause. But we know if you take it a day at a time, pay attention to your physical resources and limitations and have enough experience to rely on, it's not such a feat. I'm not sure how long we are going to be able to say this. Let's see what the next season brings.

Thank you, dear readers, for accompanying us! Until next time!

Last window view - As always first thing I have a look at the sky. Will it be a good day for riding our bikes?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Tricia GrahamI am sure you will do it for a long time yet. I think that people overestimate the difficulty of cycle touring
Have enjoyed following you along
Tricia
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamThanks, Tricia! I agree that the difficulties are often overestimated. And I hope we have a few more future tours to look forward to.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesI always enjoy reading your tour journals, Suzanne. Besides the adventure I know that we’ll see wonderful photography. I too applaud you for continuing to cycle and to tour. So many of us just don’t. And you were smart enough to break it up and take care of yourself, then continue. I look forward to the next journal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonVery impressive!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesThanks so much, Kathleen!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonThanks, Rachael!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonCongratulations on a successful tour! Thanks for taking us along. We’ll be eagerly waiting for the next installment.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike AylingIMO e-assist and shorter daily distances will be the secret.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Mike AylingWe have e-assist already. Shorter distances is probably in the future for us.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago