Day 5: Bebra to Guxhagen - Wertheim and Beyond - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2021

Day 5: Bebra to Guxhagen

Preoccupied by the weather,  we check the sky first  thing and it is disappointing. The bright blue skies in the weather forecast didn't materialize. We are under cold, low lying clouds. Before we get on our route, I take a picture of the old part of Hotel Röse where we spent the night. Our room was in the main part of the hotel, a new, more modern wing.

Hotel Röse
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we leave town, I regret my negative judgement of Bebra. There are indeed some pleasant streets. However, Bebra's claim to fame remains that of a major railroad junction.

Traditional building techniques
Heart 6 Comment 0
Residential area of Bebra
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving town
Heart 0 Comment 0

We meet our first obstacle within one kilometer - a planning failure, but this time not mine. Sometimes Open Cycle Maps isn't quite spot on.

We push our bikes through this narrow tunnel, only to discover that there are stairs on the other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Too late to find an alternative, I take my bags off and push the bike up the ramp. Not really a problem, is it.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonNo, but no great delight either.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Just about the time of the little tunnel adventure, the sun breaks through the clouds. However, the day remains cool and we have a steady chilly headwind. The Fulda Bike Path has an impeccable paved surface for about 99.9% of the route, but it has many twists and turns as it weaves in between the farming fields and river. The views are fine and one shouldn't complain. But I am wishing for a bit more variety. This lacking is often a weak spot of the major bike paths. 

Summer coming to a close
Heart 6 Comment 1
Scott AndersonIt is! It’s really had the feeling of fall in the last week. I’m wondering how soon we’ll be seeing color in the leaves.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

It's not long before we reach Rotenburg on the Fulda and we make a detour to the historic center. If there had been any free rooms, we would have liked to sleep here.

The Fulda at Rotenburg
Heart 7 Comment 1
Tricia GrahamThat is such a lovely little town I particularly like the bronze sculptures in the Main Street
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
More beautiful examples of half-timbered buildings. Tomorrow we will be in Kassel, which was once a complete city of half-timbered architecture. It must have been quite amazing. The city was bombed in October 1943 and 80% of the city burned to the ground.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Scrutinizing public art in the market square
Heart 4 Comment 3
Kathleen JonesFabulous capture of a moment
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesThanks, just wish the red van hadn't parked there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamYes now a picture of some of them
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Detail with bells
Heart 3 Comment 0
A market vendor as in days gone by
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bike portrait
Heart 6 Comment 0
Beautifully restored
Heart 3 Comment 0
A sweet window
Heart 2 Comment 0

We continue our zigzag path, stop for a picnic lunch, and ride some more, on mostly flat terrain with the occasional rise. Our next stop is Melsungen, and as you might have guessed, we are again regaled with a wealth of half-timbered houses.

Pretty scenes one the wayside
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonI’ve been really surprised by all of the sunflowers here. I always associate them with France, but I’ve seen more here.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Railroad bridge spanning the Fulda Valley
Heart 1 Comment 0
Perfect path around the fields
Heart 1 Comment 0
Melsungen's historic old town
Heart 3 Comment 0
Outside of the center not all buildings have been restored to picture perfect condition.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today is our next to last day, tomorrow we will be in Kassel. So as not to have an overly long ride today, we are staying in Guxhagen, just 20 km from tomorrow's destination. There is not much to say about Guxhagen but Hotel Montana is fine.

View from our window - zooming in
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretLove the weathervanes atop this photo!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 267 km (166 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonFor a day that began with rather dreary skies it turned out quite lovely.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesI didn’t know much about Fulda except the Fulda Gap, which was the focus of much Cold War military planning. Thank you for showing me how beautiful the area is. Glad the “gap” is a thing of the past.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonGlad to hear you didn’t get rained on.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago