Milfontes to Zambujeira do Mar - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

April 10, 2022

Milfontes to Zambujeira do Mar

Leaving Milfontes we crossed high over the Mira River on  a new white bridge.  We are constantly impressed by the infrastructure here in Portugal, with many new bridges, walkways and parks.  With one final look back at Milfonte’s beaches and white-washed centre, we were on our way. 

We rode the main road, the N393, 15km before turning on to a rural agricultural road that brought us to the Farol do Cabo Sardao (lighthouse) at the westernmost point of the Alentejo region. What a spot! 

If we thought yesterday’s views were gorgeous, today’s were truly spectacular.  We were looking forward to the afternoon on the only section of the Rota Vincentina rideable on a loaded touring bicycle.  We could never have imagined what an exceptional ride we were in for.  The "fisherman’s trail" passes through some of the most rugged but stunning coastal scenery of the Rota Vincentina.  From Cabo Sardao to the Praia de Tonal, yes it’s 6km of slow bumpy riding, but beautiful. We stopped often to gaze at the cliffs that drop a hundred plus feet to the sea below, the turquoise water and the water sprays hitting the rocks just out from shore.   At a secluded beach, we saw sunbathers enjoying the solitude and dramatic scenery.  We wondered how they even climbed down there.

We got so close to Porto das Barcas but were stopped by a steep gully with stairs and had to backtrack 2km to the main road.   Once on the main road it was 4km to Zambujeira do Mar, another sleepy seaside village at this time of year.  We checked into our hotel and took a walk before supper.   The main street suddenly ends at the cliffs with paths and stone steps leading to the honey coloured beach below.  We found a restaurant on the cliff, ate well and headed home very satisfied with the day.

Farol do Cabo Sardao.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just leaving the lighthouse.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Plenty of hikers on the Fisherman's Trail.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Some pushing required.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Zambujeira
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beach at Zambujeira.
Heart 6 Comment 4
Scott AndersonSuch an incredible part of the coast.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Karen QuinnWow, Soooo Beautiful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyThanks Karen. Happy early May Day! We are now midway through Spain. See you soon. Rob got the condo yesterday. It’s officially ours! An abode again after two years! See you soon!
Ann
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Milfontes to Zambujeira
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 183 km (114 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierIt looks gorgeous! Feverishly taking notes...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen ClassenWe are going to follow in your footsteps (wheel revolutions?) today. I am psyching myself up for some pushing through the sand. Good for the upper body strength!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago