Barcelona - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2022 to June 2, 2022

Barcelona

Three days in Barcelona was barely enough to get prepared for our flight and get a hint at what the city has to offer.  

Barcelona was by far the biggest city we had seen since Lisbon and, after weeks of quiet countryside, the scale was a bit of a shock.  Arriving by ferry, we we got our first indication of the size after we entered the port and then steamed along for another half hour past massive container docks, oil transfer stations, cruise ships and other ferries before getting to our spot.  Lucky for us, cyclists and motor bikes were first off and before the trucks had caught up we were on the bike path and headed for downtown.  The city has an extensive network of dedicated bike lanes so we joined the streams of commuters, many of whom were fashionably attired in well cut suits or flowing summer dresses, as  we bumbled along with our loaded panniers and hi-viz green jackets.  

We have decided to store the bikes here for the summer, mainly because it is so much easier than packing and taking everything home on the plane.  A few weeks ago we had found a storage facility in a relatively central location and reserved a 2.5m space.  So, before any sightseeing, we did laundry and then sorted into 'store here' or 'take home' or 'throw out' piles.  In the end we are taking home just one pannier that is small enough to be carry on luggage.  With our chores done, we plotted a cycling tourist route to some of the main attractions including a few Gaudi buildings.  Looking Barcelonaise in our elegant outfits, we rode the boulevards, dismounted to walk on the Rambla and other pedestrian streets, gawked at the beautiful buildings and admired the beautiful people.  We ended up at a perfect cafe terrace for tapas and drinks where we chatted with a cosmopolitan woman beside us from Turkey.  Her husband is a specialist in container shipping logistics and teaches at the University of Izmir -in English! 

Day two we loaded up the bikes for a last ride to the Home Box where we filled out the forms, paid for 3 months and padlocked the door on our bikes and bags.  It was liberating, but also a bit scary, to walk away from what has been the totality of our belongings for the past two months.  

Barcelona was busy, but the pre-Covid crowds are not completely back as we were able to book a time for that afternoon at the Sagrada Familia, the Gaudi cathedral.  After seeing so many churches over the past months, we thought we had become somewhat blasé to ecclesiastical wonders, but this one is truly spectacular.  We started by walking around the outside trying to take in the overwhelming decorative detail, the towers, the friezes, all of which somehow seems to work and look just right instead of how we usually use the word 'gaudy'. And it's still under construction with more towers and entrances yet to come.  The transition to inside is surprising and almost a transcendent experience, bright and airy, richly coloured from the huge stained glass windows, wide open spaces, soaring columns and vaulted ceilings that makes one feel very small and uplifted at the same time.  After an hour and a half, we had finished the audio guide tour, had sore necks from looking up and were mentally exhausted.  Earlier, we had talked about marking the end of the trip with a fancy dinner out, but in the end we were too tired and more in the mood for a light pasta and salad from our own kitchen.

On the last morning, our final impression of Barcelona was the efficiency of taking public transit to the airport and the simplicity of travelling without heavy luggage!  We are looking forward to seeing family and friends at home, and spending the summer at the cottage in NB, but are glad to know we will be back in Barcelona in September. 

A Gaudi apartment building
Heart 2 Comment 0
Balconies with masks on this Gaudi
Heart 3 Comment 0
City riding, feeling groovy.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonVery cool! I hardly recognized you!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonIs there a life after the tour? Definitely!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Spacious and shaded, a lovely car-free boulevard in the otherwise not very elegant neighbourhood near the storage facility
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our first view of the Sagrada Familia
Heart 2 Comment 0

P

This side is still under construction
Heart 1 Comment 0
Soaring columns looking like tree trunks
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bathing in the light
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 2,235 km (1,388 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 13
Rich FrasierIt’s been great following along on your trip! I’m looking forward to what you have in store in September.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamThank you for sharing your adventure. I look forward to joining it again in September
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWonderful journal! I’m glad I finally got caught up. By the way, you’ve been leaving your bikes in lockers and we are curious about how much that costs? Also, what do you do about tuneups for your bikes between tours?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonI have loved following along! Looking for to your re-start in September!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Rachael AndersonHi Rachel, thanks for reading our blog. So enjoy keeping up with your travels reading yours. Thank you!

We left our bikes in Lisbon for the winter and it was 45Euros a month. Barcelona is a way more expensive city and everything costs more. We also chose to leave our stuff in the city instead of looking for a cheaper storage facility in the outskirts. This one is super easy and we can walk to it from the train, coming from the airport. And we only want it for 3 or 4 months. It is 80Euros a month but we decided to do it, it is just so much easier then bringing everything home and then back. We will probably find a smaller city, less expensive to leave them in for the winter..... Steve has been fixing our bikes for years. He always has and so unless it is a big job and we don't have the tools with us, he does it. So far so good. Cheers
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Tricia GrahamHi Tricia thanks for following along. Have you a future trip planned? Around New Zealand?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearySuzanne, thanks for reading and commenting, I enjoy reading yours too!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Rich FrasierHi Rich, Thanks for reading. We are thinking about the Pyrenees both the Spanish and French sides. We may be coming close to where you live and may reach out with questions. Will see what we do in the fall. Cheers, happy cycling. Ann
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamTo ann and steve maher-wearyUnfortunately not Ann. I have ruptured both abductor tendons in my right hip which means I can only walk with two crutches - still ride a bike normally which seems weird. Am having an operation in a couple of weeks at the attempt of a repair figures crossed. The rehab is three months non weight bearing which will be a challenge It all means no biking in Europe this year just enjoying other peoples journals
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierTo ann and steve maher-wearyI'd be happy to help with whatever I can. And we'd be happy to meet up if your plans bring you this way. You can contact me directly at rxfrasier@gmail.com
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo ann and steve maher-wearyThanks for the information.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyRich, thank you for offering help for our fall trip. Will be in touch closer to the time. Have a great summer!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Tricia GrahamTricia,
Yikes! That sounds terrible. I hope the surgery goes well and you are on the mend soon, if a bit too slow for your liking. Thanks for following and commenting on our blog. Take care
Reply to this comment
1 year ago