Sines to Milfontes - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

April 9, 2022

Sines to Milfontes

Today was the first of what we hope to be many just-about-perfect cycling days.  

Getting out of town involved navigating cobbled alleys with cafes serving yummy looking pastries that would have been more tempting if we weren't stuffed from the hotel breakfast, then along the waterfront and finally a stretch of highway past another industrial area before we turned off onto our first perfect road of the day.  Right on the beach, paved but with little traffic, we sailed along taking in the views and the sea air, stopping only for photo ops.   

At Porto Covo it was still too early for lunch, so we crossed the gulch and headed onto the "unpaved" section of the route.  This is the start of the Rota Vincentia , and although a bit rough in some places and sandy in others,  the track was wonderfully free of cars and led us high above the coastline with gorgeous views down to the rocky shoreline and tiny sandy coves.  Then we turned inland through rugged cow pastures before regaining the highway for the last stretch into Vila Nova de Milfontes.

By now we were famished and pulled into a neighbouhood restaurant with a 9€ Prato da dia and populated with families out for a Saturday lunch and a  group of road cyclists.  Ann had the Salada Russe, Steven ordered  the grilled pork and fries, and the waiter brought an enormous pitcher of vino tinto for the included beverage.   Rested with full tummies (and a bit sloshed) we wobbled our way the last few blocks to the hotel in time for a well deserved siesta.  Later we explored the town, ending up on the beautiful beach where we watched the sunset and then headed home to our kitchenette for a light supper and early bed.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Steep down out of Porto Covo
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the Rota Vincentia
Heart 3 Comment 0
Colourful aloes by the track
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch time!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Patios de Vila apart-hotel. Very comfortable and affordable off season.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back towards Milafontes
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking out to the main beach
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 147 km (91 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Keith Adams"...an enormous pitcher of vino tinto for the included beverage. Rested with full tummies (and a bit sloshed) we wobbled our way the last few blocks to the hotel in time for a well deserved siesta."

We learned that lesson the hard way, on our first tandem tour in France. We had stopped at a local cafe for lunch, and on the table were open jugs of local red and white wine. "When in Rome..." we figured, and had a couple glasses of wine with the meal.

We were nearly *useless* on the ride from there back to the hotel, which fortunately was neither terribly lengthy nor demanding. Naps were taken, and the lesson learned: we now FINISH the day's ride before starting to imbibe.

Pleasant journey to you!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyWe are trying to be good about the wine in take at lunch time, but at times it is cheaper than ordering water which makes it hard to stick with the plan of no wine before 5pm. We are getting better but.... we still give in to temptation from time to time. Thanks for following along. Happy retirement, it's great, isn't it!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen WearyGlad to hear you’re not skimping out on the wine or the siestas!

The Rota looks like rough riding…
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Kathleen WearyHi Kate
Great to talk to you last night. Glad you are moved in to your new abode. Thanks for reading our blog. Xoxo
Reply to this comment
1 year ago