Spring and Going Nowhere - So long, Covid! - CycleBlaze

Spring and Going Nowhere

Preamble

We have all been waiting, waiting for better weather, warmer weather, touring weather. And waiting for the Covid numbers to go down so that we feel safe traveling. Here in Germany the infection rate is high, but the hospitalization situation is not in the red zone. So as the days get warmer, we are mentally getting ready to travel again. 

On my son's birthday a couple of weeks ago, we were having dry and cool weather, but good enough for a bike ride into Munich where he lives, about 20 km, with a boxed birthday cake strapped to the back of my bike. I was looking forward to an afternoon with him and his three daughters, my lovely granddaughters. The cake survived the ride, and we all survived the fun celebration. Survived yes, but we all came down with Covid. It seems we had a super-spreader there, probably the youngest granddaughter. 

Fortunately, Janos didn't accompany me to the party and the whole time sharing living space with me, he never got infected. We wore masks, washed our hands a lot, opened the windows a lot, kept our distance. It seemed to have worked. For me it was a scratchy throat, then fever and fatigue, and towards the end a pesty cough. It all lasted about a week and after nine days I tested negative. 

While I was in quarantine, the weathter was getting better and better. It was a crying shame not to be out on my bike. When I could go out again, the weather was still fantastic. We made plans for a short ride, just two days, to test my stamina. Would I be back to normal? Well, yes, otherwise I wouldn't be writing a journal!

So long, Covid!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 12
Rachael AndersonYippee glad to hear you’re doing better and could hit the road!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Susan CarpenterFantastic! Covid cleared and ready for a mini-tour. Can't wait to hear more!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamThis signals to us winter is on the way I love following your trips and dreaming where we could be off to
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesThis is very encouraging to read, both for you and Janos and for us. It is a very small sample, but it shows one can possibly get covid at our ages and not land in hospital nor spread it to our partner.

How did your son and granddaughters make out?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonThanks, Rachael. It was great to strap on the panniers again.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Susan CarpenterI'll be writing soon. I was indeed too tired in the evenings to write, tired but feeling fine otherwise.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamI hope you will be able to travel soon, Tricia!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYes, there is so much fear surrounding Covid, it is reassuring to experience that it doesn't have to be that menacing, even for us old folks. The granddaughters (16, 24 and 26) recovered quickly. My son took a bit longer, but is fine now, too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierSorry to hear you got sick, but it's great to hear that it wasn't serious!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesGlad you’re back on the road, Suzanne!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rich FrasierThank goodness for the vaccination and that Omicron is usually not so serious!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesThanks, Kathleen!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago