Day 2: back to start - So long, Covid! - CycleBlaze

March 26, 2022

Day 2: back to start

Let's first have a look at our hotel, the Magicians Cabinet. It looks to have been designed with much loving care. A true aficionado of the occult arts must have been at work here with references to the Tarot, Harry Potter, sleight of hand and other kinds of hocus pocus.

The Magician watched over us while we slept.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenThe beds! I miss Europe. Soon I hope.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
In the breakfast room, a faucet with running water suspended in mid-air - magic!
Heart 5 Comment 0
A wonky bookcase that doesn't fall over - I hope.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Look up at the ceiling - ¡pǝɯnsuoɔ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉʇᴉɐʍ lɐǝɯ llnɟ ∀
Heart 7 Comment 0
Spooky entrance to the dining room
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lamps off kilter, set of Tarot cards in frames, flames around the doors
Heart 3 Comment 0
The window is upside down and potted plants are hanging from the window sill.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Magic everywhere
Heart 1 Comment 0
An inch is not an inch using this ruler.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Pick a card
Heart 1 Comment 0
The magician's hat
Heart 1 Comment 0
Get a bus to Hogwarts by running into the tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Instructions on how to do magic
Heart 1 Comment 0
I did it - I pulled Janos out of the black hat! I think I shrank him, too.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The witch who didn't watch where she was going - let that be a lesson!
Heart 2 Comment 0

The breakfast itself wasn't weird at all, actually it was very good with a fine array of jams, cheese, cold meats, muesli and yoghurt. There was even a platter with carrot sticks, bell pepper and melon slices! Got my vitamins!

We sailed out of town and as usual didn't take the trouble of looking for a market to buy fixings for sandwiches. We are usually eager to get started and think we will find something later. That isn't always the case and today it wasn't, either.

There is still a haze over the Alps, but the weather is splendid.
Heart 3 Comment 0
What a start to the day - a beautiful bicycle path across the meadows
Heart 5 Comment 0
No leaves on the trees yet, but Easter eggs are out.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bunnies and lambs are out, too.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another small chapel, bench and tree for shade in the summer - so common in rural Bavaria
Heart 5 Comment 0
Wonderful panorama views
Heart 8 Comment 0
I think these are awards of some kind on the barn door. I'm sorry I didn't look more closely to see what is written on them, something about weight.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Originally the Benediktbeurn Monastery was to be the destination of our tour. The monastery has hotel rooms and I was looking forward to staying in the historic setting. Unfortunately, there were no vacancies.

Here a tidbit of information about the monastery from the Internet:

"According to the latest findings, the monastery was founded around the year 725 by Charles Martell, who set up the initially purely secular station Buron to control the mountain passes to the south. In 739, St. Boniface consecrated the church. Benediktbeuern is thus considered the oldest monastery in Upper Bavaria. Even before the year 800, Charlemagne mediated the arm relic of St. Benedict, whereupon the name of the monastery was changed to "Benedictoburanum", which means "house or monastery dedicated   St. Benedict". "

Arm relic of St. Benedict? More hocus pocus.

Approaching the outer walls of Benediktbeurn Monastery
Heart 3 Comment 0
Spring and the church towers in the background
Heart 5 Comment 0
Entry to the courtyard
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonReminds me of your photo of Fürstenfeld Abbey.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonArches are always good.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Monastery courtyard
Heart 4 Comment 0

Over the centuries the monastery was destroyed and rebuilt several times.
The current baroque form of the monastery complex was created between 1669 and 1679, and starting in 1672 the monastery church of St. Benedict was rebuilt.

The monastery church of St. Benedict in the architectural style of the Italian early Baroque
Heart 3 Comment 0

After leaving Benediktbeurn our route takes us to the Loisach-Kochelsee moor landscape, a complex of low and raised bog areas.

The 3600 hectares of low moor landscape on the Loisach is under nature protection.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Information about the birds that breed here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We weren't the only ones on these paths on this sunny Saturday. We saw many cyclists and walkers, young and old and families out for the day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the background a Scottish Highlander, a robust breed of cattle that spends the winter outdoors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now following the Loisach
Heart 2 Comment 0
Trail along the Loisach
Heart 4 Comment 0
A bicycle ramp takes you up to the bridge and over to the other side of the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Just lots of pictures now, no captions.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice picture of the Egret and reeds. :) I call Egrets "747's" because of their long wingspan. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0

Finally we reach Lake Starnberg. This is almost home territory for us. The lake is lovely but there are going to be too many people out on the shared bike and walking path today. I expected this stretch along the lake was going to be a slog and it was. 

Big fungi
Heart 2 Comment 0
I didn't see anyone swimming but there were a few waders.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lunch stop with view to the lake. We still are showing our vaccination certificates and ID, and must wear masks until we are seated. That will stop next week I believe.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A few signs of spring
Heart 4 Comment 0
Primrose? cowslip?
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltImage matches well with oxlip.
http://www.overthebrink.com/flora/Flowers/Oxlip/Oxlip.html
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltImage matches well with oxlip.
http://www.overthebrink.com/flora/Flowers/Oxlip/Oxlip.html
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Karen PoretMr. Bill! I have discovered this site, thanks to Suzanne, and find your comments about flora and fauna once again! ( no big surprise)
Karen
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Not my bike, but nicely placed for a photo
Heart 5 Comment 0
Janos's cockpit - video in the process, and the pompom on his lapel is a mic windscreen.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGreat setup for your camera! I look forward to seeing the video!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We rode in and out of clouds of little flies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the attractions along the lake is the Hungarian Gate, decorated with colorful carvings which a Hungarian artist built at the end of the 19th century.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Detail
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBeautiful and colorful Hungarian Gate!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The gate to one of the many lavish villas on this premium real estate along the lake.
Heart 3 Comment 0

I didn't stop for any more pictures on the last 15 km of our ride. Not only did I have enough pictures already, but I was tired and eager to get off my bike.

It was a fantastic two-day outing in many ways: the weather was perfect, we discovered new paths and explored places that we didn't know, and I again felt fit enough to tour.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 108 km (67 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Scott AndersonGreat to see you out on tour again! And worth it just to see the Magician’s Cabinet.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesBad Heilbrunn is on our route for the upcoming trip!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauWhat a wonderfully quirky inn! Sure, Germany has a multitude of attractions, but I'd be willing to tour there just to stay at the Magicians Cabinet.

I enjoyed the rest of your tour too, of course, and I'm glad you could do it after your bout with Covid.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI think you will really like the countryside here. Looking forward to seeing your route in more detail.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonGlad the mini tour went well!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Karen PoretTo Scott AndersonAgreed!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago