A Leisurely Trip to Regensburg - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2018

A Leisurely Trip to Regensburg

Another sunny day, we find another great bike mechanic

It was a joy once again to ride through the lovely centre of Straubing.  People were bustling about their business, we called in at a Backerie to get supplies for lunch.

Today once again we were travelling through farming country on a big plain that reached all the way to Regensburg.  All the wheat has been harvested long ago and next year's crop was being sown.  There is still some corn that is well due to be harvested although most of it has already been stored away for the winter.  The sugar beet too was almost all harvested and there were big piles of beets sitting around ready for the next process.  There were tractors going around pulling huge trailers piled with potatoes.

The machine that harvests sugar beet
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were fewer little towns today.  When we got to the turn off to Worth we decided to go in.  We had stayed there 8 years ago and Ken well remembers the old Lanz Bulldog he saw there.  He said he wanted to go in for a coffee but I knew he had another idea in her head.  Well he didn't see the tractor but we found a great Backerie full of old women putting the world to rights.  Out we came from it and off we set, within 50m I came to a dead stop I could neither ride or push my bike and there was an awful noise.  I yelled out for Ken and back he came the problem - somehow my front mudguard had fallen off and together with the stays was caught in the front wheel.  Worth is a small town with no bike shop so the first aid treatment was to remove it.  I tied it on the back of my bike and on we went.

Worth Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Apples for sale to passing cyclists
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pumpkin picture of the day
Heart 1 Comment 0

Getting into Regensburg is not entirely straightforward.  We had seen a few touring cyclists during the day.  However on our approach to Regensburg there were hundreds of day cyclists taking advantage of the lovely weather.  The old centre here is quite big and  stunning.  Our first thing we wanted to do was to find the Tourist Information in our hunt for a bike shop.  We did this and were directed to who must be the busiest man in Regensburg.   What a great man, rather a wait but my bike got its mudguard attached again with new stays and all done with very good humour.  Then to find the Star Hotel which is by the Hbf because tomorrow we are not going by bike but are catching the train to Ingolstadt to visit the Audi Museum while the bikes sleep in the Star Hotel.

Allotments on the approach to Regensburg
Heart 1 Comment 0
A little town before Regensburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Old Stone Bridge across the Danube
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bike shop
Heart 0 Comment 0

This tour really is winding down and we only have about 3 or 4 more days of cycling before we reach Munich.  What we will do with the bikes isn't completely clear yet - we will either sell them (I will be very sad to say goodbye to my white bike) or will find storage - the only problem with that being what to do if something happens and we are unable to return next year.  Anyway we have bookings for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights next week in Munich and should be able to work something out.

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 2,063 km (1,281 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 4
david alstonTricia and Ken,

The first time Maun and I left our bikes in storage in Paris we asked ourselves all those same "what if...?" questions. After getting tired of worrying about we decided just to do it and not give it any more thought. It has worked out both time and we would do it again in a heartbeat.

You have had a very good trip and we are looking forward to seeing how you get to Munich. Good luck and safe travels!

David and Maun
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamIt has been a great trip. So much time in the old 'east' has been particular;y interesting and certainly pointed out to us the difficulties of covering from communism
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Frank RoettgenDear Tricia, dear Ken,
I have only just realized you are cycling in Germany as I have been away for the last 10 months myself and didnĀ“t really log into cycleblaze since I left for New Zealand (where my wife Karen comes from) from Penang in May. So I quickly scanned your journal and learnt the storage of your bikes is a concern. We could have talked about storing them in my garage but time and your location in the south of the country may be the problem as I will be leaving again for South East Asia (and NZ later on) mid-October. All the same we might get into touch and talk through it. My email is roettgenf@gmail.com where we could exchange telephone numbers if you wish. Enjoy your ride to Munich and its Oktoberfest!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonIf your schedule allows, it would be fun to meet for a coffee when you are in Munich! You can contact me at:
suzannegibson@arcor.de
Sounds like you have had a lovely trip.
Suzanne
Reply to this comment
5 years ago