About us - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

About us

What a difference a year makes.  This time last year we were both physically compromised. To say we were showing our age was an understatement.  However we took off and had a wonderful trip around France, it was a miracle. We haven't shed any years but I feel as if I have and we are very excited to be on our way again

In March we shifted from our farm and vineyard and moved to a new house on just one acre of land.  We both, particularly  Ken felt sad.  He had to sell five of his old tractors but kept two, as surely that is the minimum number of tractors you need on an acre.  It means that the usual rush to get the pruning done and the wine ready to sleep for the rest of the winter hasn't had to happen.  We are missing the lovely little lambs that are born at this time of the year but don't have to worry about winter storms coming through to chill them off.

This is taken from our front deck, it gives you some idea of our terrain
Heart 3 Comment 0

We now live in Razorback Road.  This is the old Military  Road that led to the Waikato.  It certainly lives up to its name.  This means that we have a great 10km loop which is proving a real challenge to us and we are attempting it most days.  We are either grinding very slowly uphill or tearing down at a breakneck pace, I feel nervous but exhilarated when my spend gets over 40k/hour.  Ken is somewhat braver.

We are warned
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the way
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking out towards Auckland
Heart 4 Comment 0
That is Mt William, we ride to the end of the road leading to the walkway
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the top of one of the climbs
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's a roller coaster ride
Heart 0 Comment 0

There has been much discussion on where we will go.  Breaking from our custom our first step is to fly to Bucharest were we are going on a 12day river cruise first down to the Black Sea to see the Danube Delta then back up to Budapest.  We will then have seen every part of the Danube from its source to where it meets the sea.  Its just a pity not all of it will have been from a bike seat.

The plan is then to take a train to Hamburg.  There we will both buy bikes (with the cruise it would be too difficult to take our own).  Ken will buy a regular bike and I will buy an ebike.  Ken is a very much stronger cyclist than I am so it  will mean that he won't have to spend ages waiting for me and I even might have to wait for him at times!  Then from Hamburg to Berlin to the Baltic Coast.  The Oder River is the border between Germany and Poland and we will follow this to the tri-point of Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic - on to Prague then via Pilsen to Regensburg on the Danube and hence to Munich.  What to do with the bikes when we get to Munich will be a problem, we hope we can find some reasonably priced storage, perhaps we could sell them or even just donate them to someone -I am sure it will all work out, there is no point worrying about it now.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 12
Bennie D. BarfieldI've been following you guys for a long time.. Don't forget 'tractor pics please"..
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen Jones+1 on the long-time follower and +1 on the tractor pics. I never knew how much fun tractors could be until I became a ranger and learned to use them. There's a different lever for everything! Up. Down. Left. Right. Back. Up. Tilt. Don't Tilt. Fun!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen Jonesalso, congrats on the new spread. It's a lovely area. Thanks for the inviting photos.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesHooray, now we will have another eagerly anticipated blog to follow. I roughly estimate the cycling portion of your trip to be 1600 km. But that is using Google Maps. The same method for our last trip gave 4500km and it ended up near 6000!

I take heart too from your comment about showing age but now making a come back. As usual, we will try, next year, to follow in your wake - as far as the route goes and with renewed vigour. Go out now, and show the way!

Steve
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Bennie D. BarfieldNo hope of forgetting the tractor pictures. Ken is always wanting me to put on more than I do !
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesUsing Bikeline books it is around 2500km so we will see. It really feels as if we are almost underway with a post up and some comments on it. Won't post every day until we are in Hamburg and buying bikes but will attempt to show parts of the Danube that we wish we had cycled on.
Thinking of you Dodie stuck to the sofa, this time next year it will be a different story
Tricia
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Kathleen JonesYou are a woman of Ken's dreams if you delight in tractors !
ciao
Tricia
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonGlad to see you are getting started! You've chosen a great route. Looking forward to your journal. If we are in town, we could meet for a coffee in Munich!
Gute Reise!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonGlad to see you are getting started! You've chosen a great route. Looking forward to your journal. If we are in town, we could meet for a coffee in Munich!
Gute Reise!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Suzanne GibsonIt should be a great trip. Would love to meet up with you for coffee when we get to Munich
Ciao
Tricia
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jack WatsonGreat start to your journal, Ken and Tricia. I look forward to some pictures in which Tricia is leading Ken........
Cheers, Jack.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Jack WatsonPerhaps I’ll be miles in front of him?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago