Days 4 and 5: Riquewihr rest day, then to Molsheim - Lift-off: Kiwis take flight again - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2023 to July 25, 2023

Days 4 and 5: Riquewihr rest day, then to Molsheim

Even so early in the tour, a day off the bike in Riquewihl was exactly what we needed.

Our first few days,  involving train travel and head winds, had left us feeling just a little stressed. We were also carrying too much stuff and had yet to reach peak pannier packing.

Riquewihr, a small, impossibly beautiful medieval fortified town on the Alsace wine route, is the perfect location. We have a spacious room in the 16th century building in which to spread ourselves out; there’s a post office to take care of poor packing choices (a box is on its way to London as I write this); and the heart of the village is just outside our door.

Home for two nights. Street entrance . . .
Heart 4 Comment 0
. . . and courtyard
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Thierry, our generous host – he gifted us a beer on arrival and a bottle of Alsace pinot blanc to enjoy on our day off - is also a weather oracle. As we’re loading panniers and bags onto the bikes this morning, he predicts the windows of dry spells between rain showers. Rain will arrive at 10am, he says, but is not surprised when it makes an unwelcome appearance 20 minutes earlier, just as we’re about to leave. (He also successfully predicts the midday deluge, we remember, as we’re eating lunch.)

Our lunch spot, also a popular tourist destination as we discovered soon after we set up camp there
Heart 5 Comment 0

Rain jackets on, radar rear lights finally fitted and panniers perfectly balanced, we wobble our way over the cobbles and through the town gate – and immediately up a substantial hill. This is one of half a dozen decent climbs we make today as the route takes us through vineyards in the foothills of the Vosges. Given the weight we’re carrying, I resort to pushing a couple of times.

There are cyclists all over the place today, many on hired e-bikes.  I would call this an excellent choice. We stop to chat with a German couple on a tandem. They’re regular tourists through Germany, France and Belgium. Bruce comments – unwisely, in my opinion – that our marriage wouldn’t survive a tandem tour . I suspect he means I don’t take direction well.  Herr Husband  says, ‘oh no, we love each other, we have no problems on the tandem.’ Dig yourself out of THAT hole if you can, darling.

We enjoy today’s ride, despite occasional uphills and downpours. It seems that, no sooner do we leave a gorgeous village, its equally attractive neighbour appears. We have expansive views overlooking the Rhine valley, our next destination, to the east. There’s some cycling on the shoulders of main roads, but we’re mostly on shared paths – with motor vehicles relatively rare and generally considerate.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Dawn HunterThe photos are gorgeous Robyn!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Dawn HunterThanks, Dawn. Gorgeous scenery!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

After initially hugging the hills, with all of their ups and downs,  the wine route eventually takes a more direct approach as it turns its back on the Vosges. We do the final few km to Molsheim on the shoulder of a busy road, then only have to navigate some road works and detours in town before turning into our hotel just as the rain lets loose again.

Heart 2 Comment 3
Jennie EastonWorth the effort methinks
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Jennie EastonWorth the effort methinks
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Jennie EastonIt was!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 253 km (157 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 12
Tricia GrahamWhat a lovely area. It is amazing how always at the beginning of a tour you strike some difficult days then things sort themselves out. Our cruise finished today and now the hard work starts. The first step will be a mail home of things we wont need, then to Bremen by train to buy bikes. I hope the rain gods are kind to you tomorrow
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Tricia GrahamAnd best of luck for bike purchases!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Suzanne GibsonHad to laugh at your tandem story. My husband thinks tandem riding would only work for us if we had two.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Mike AylingWe ride tandem because Mary never learned to ride a bike as a child.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Suzanne GibsonI think mine would agree!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Mike AylingThat's interesting...I hadn't thought of that situation.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Tricia GrahamWill you still be in Bremen on Sunday? We arrive by train around noon.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Tricia GrahamUnfortunately not we arrive tomorrow. Hopefully will buy bikes that day then set off on Saturday. Not sure where you go after that. We head towards the Netherlands
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Tricia GrahamSo do we. Will keep in touch.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Jill BrinsleyOh that was a lovely one!!! I love the tandem story and the ‘uphills and downpours’ . You wordsmith you!!👏🤣
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Jill BrinsleyFlatterer!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Toni LinkI know our marriage would not survive a tandem! Bill goes too fast downhill! I’d be walking!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago