Final day (29): Rainham to Twickenham - Lift-off: Kiwis take flight again - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2023

Final day (29): Rainham to Twickenham

Our hotel,  Berwick Manor, has seen better days – and busier ones too. We were the only guests breakfasting at 7.30 am, and last night they opened the bar just for us. We actually had to bike a few km to a very busy Premier Inn restaurant for dinner afterwards as the Berwick's was closed, with no plans to reopen.

However it was comfortable enough and our bikes spent the night securely in the conference room. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

We’re soon ready to tackle the final day of this cycling tour. From the hotel, there’s a stretch of busy country road which we’re keen to get over with. With no shoulder, there’s no Plan B;   nothing to be done except pedal quickly and hope for the best.

Tour Leader, Chief Navigator and now Health & Safety Director – Bruce – has been using RideWithGPS to plot our routes on this tour, which we then upload to our bike computers. (I feel the need to compensate for my lack of titles but Journal Writer doesn’t sound as impressive. Media Manager?) He checks routes against Google Earth to make sure all is as it should be but we’ve been pleasantly surprised at how well the software has done at finding off-road paths, like yesterday’s lovely  ride through the Ingrebourne Valley.

Today’s route has had a super-thorough interrogation, but we still don’t know quite what to expect on some segments. So it’s a nice surprise once we reach Rainham village to find a lovely wide bike lane waiting for us on the outskirts. From this point we are in touch with some sort of bike path all the way into London. 

We have to keep our wits about us though. The path sometimes narrows, changes sides of the road or disappears. Still, we’re making progress.

Around Dagenham, there’s new signage and we’re suddenly on the CS3 bike route – Cycle SuperHighway 3, that is, part of a much-vaunted network of London bike routes. It’s a path with ideas above its station, truth be told, ranging from a full-blown two-lane highway to a cut-down version barely wide enough for two bikes to pass each other,  to sometimes just squares of blue paint on a road stamped with CS3, as if to say, I’m still here but figure this bit out for yourselves.
The path runs alongside a main road bringing vehicles into the city from the east. The traffic roar is incessant and the grubby, rubbish-strewn environment doesn’t appeal.

Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesCycling in England seems a little hit and miss to us. Some is not bad, often it is brutally awful.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYes. You two experienced a lot more of the UK than we did. And I don't have any urge to explore further !
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

At last, CS3 turns away from the road and takes us to a modern shopping centre amongst city tower blocks. It’s quiet and clean . . .and it has a coffee shop on the corner. This is more like it.

The Thames and Tower of London are just around the corner. I find it hard not to stop every few minutes to capture a skyline or street scene. Progress slows a little. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

And then we’re riding along the river on The Embankment on a fully separated, two-lane proper cycle highway. It’s brilliant!

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

At Westminster Bridge we turn right and traverse Birdcage Walk, Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park. The only hiccup is being held up right outside the Palace for 15 minutes for the Changing of the Guards. This is a surreal experience. There are thousands of spectators behind barriers on all sides. We’re part of a group of six cyclists who have been waiting for the last of the horses to clop out of view. Finally, we’re waved on and all six of us ride around the Victoria Monument, watched by a huge audience keen to see something happening. This experience does nothing to sway Tour Leader’s republican (small r) leanings.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We take a detour from Hyde Park down to a cycle shop in Chelsea that buys bikes. We negotiate, get a good result (we’ll bring them back when we’ve stripped and cleaned them), and rejoin the route.

Heart 2 Comment 0

On the final stretch now, and heading south-west, we’re still on cycle paths through the streets of Kensington, Hammersmith and Chiswick. Painted lines now though but they do the job.

Finally, we sight a familiar Tesco’s supermarket and the roof of Twickenham Stadium. We’re at our destination, the home of our London relatives. 

This last segment of our tour – from Harwich to London – was the Great Unknown. We knew we would enjoy riding in Switzerland, France, Germany and the Netherlands – all countries with cycling infrastructure and, of course, a cycling culture. But this small portion of England has exceeded expectations.  It’s not and probably never will be like Europe (nor will New Zealand be) but London in particular has made a start. Let’s hope it continues with the needed infrastructure. 

Thanks for coming along for the ride.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,552 km (964 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 17
Scott AndersonGreat job, Media Manager! I thoroughly enjoyed the show and gained a few ideas for the future.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jill BrinsleyYay!! Safely there and with some unexpected rewards at the end. You certainly got very very central in London. Well done you two. Really looking forward to the detailed catch up over dinner ( also wine probably) in a couple of weeks. Quite a bit more excitement to come on your return! 👏👏👏
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Tricia GrahamYou will feel sad saying good bye to the bikes. A great trip. Where next?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Scott AndersonThanks, Scott. Who needs Health & Safety anyhow?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Jill BrinsleyLooking forward to our next adventure in Cambridge!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Tricia GrahamYes, very mixed feelings about selling them. But, like you, we can always buy new ones! Still thinking about where next.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Dawn HunterHave really enjoyed reading of your adventures. Looks as though your trip well and truly met your cycling expectations. Great planning (and guidance from TL). Shame the weather didn’t always play ball!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Dawn HunterWe've already forgotten about the bad weather days!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Carolyn van HoeveAww so sad it’s the last entry! I’ve looked forward to reading the next instalment every day. Great journal! So you decided to sell your bikes after all - sounds like it was a straight forward process at least. And yes, easy enough to buy some more. Hope you have a great trip back
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Toni LinkTo Robyn RichardsTo Moab, Durango, another boat/bike tour? We’re cycling in the Loire next September with Chris and Wilma with Backroads. Staying in small chateau, drinking fine wine and eating sumptuous dinners. I’m sure there are coffee stops, too! Join us!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Toni LinkI really enjoyed reading about your cycling trip! I will miss your journal and photographs! Safe travels home and I know more excitement awaits you there.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Toni Link
It does indeed...thanks, Toni!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Toni Linkooh tempting!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jennie EastonFabulous Robyn (and Bruce)
I enjoyed being a ‘couch cyclist’ 😊
Thanks, look forward to seeing you soon.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Tricia GrahamAre you in Paris Robyn. We are too but hiding out from the heat. Go to Moret early tomorrow to stay with my niece Fly home on Wednesday
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Tricia GrahamWe're spending the afternoon at the excellent but huge Carnavalet Museum of Paris- sore feet! - and will be going to the airport later on for 10pm flight.
Enjoy your family time and stay cool!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Tricia GrahamTo Robyn RichardsWe are spending the afternoon in the excellent ac of the Mecure Hôtel. But seems to have cooled of so will venture out for dinner later. Hope you have an east flight home. You should be tired enough to sleep
Reply to this comment
8 months ago