Counting down - Lift-off: Kiwis take flight again - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2023

Counting down

Kia ora

It's been a mixed blessing scrolling through CycleBlaze journals these past four years. On the one hand, I've enjoyed vicariously experiencing life on two wheels in other parts of the world. On the other, your obvious enjoyment has reminded me of how much we have missed cycle touring in Europe.

Exploring our own backyard is no bad thing, and we've had some fabulous experiences on the road and on bike trails in Aotearoa/NZ in recent years. Our country specialises in natural beauty - and there's plenty of it, crammed into a small footprint. But the built architecture of European countries, the imprint of so many centuries of humankind on the landscape, THIS is what we miss. 

Jackson Bay, a remote destination on the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand. Beautiful...
Heart 6 Comment 2
Graham SmithBeautiful place. Best fish & chips in the world.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Graham SmithAnd we had stunning weather!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Our bikes are in Switzerland-and have been for nearly four years. In what turned out to be a serendipitous meeting, a kind stranger who we met over coffee after parkrun in France, offered storage in her garage once we had finished touring in 2019. "We'll be back next year," we assured her as we dropped bikes and panniers off. Who knew?

The rest of the world seemed a scary place from Down Under during the pandemic, and airline ticket prices even more so. But it's time to renew our acquaintance; the world has obviously moved on and we're all pretending that Covid is behind us. So we've bought (still scarily priced) tickets and fly to Paris in mid-July. From there, a fast train to Lausanne, Switzerland, and a short hop to Grandvaux above Lake Geneva will see us reunited with our bikes.

The plan from there is to make our way to Basel, then to Alsace for a few days before joining the Rhine path through Germany. Anyone who has read previous journals of mine may remember my obsession with parkrun. This year's itinerary is blatantly structured around Saturday morning parkrun events, so there will be a train segment from Mannheim to Bremen to help make this happen.

From here, we will head west to the Dutch coast and south along EV12. Things become a little vague here (which we like) but after spending a week on our bikes in Amsterdam in 2018, we're keen to enjoy more time in the Netherlands in order to experience their cycling culture at first hand. We have a ferry booked from the Hook of Holland to Harwich in mid-August and will finish our tour by biking from Harwich to London. 

Also beautiful: morning coffee stop along the Loire in France, 2019
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Tricia GrahamIsn’t it exciting to be off again will certainly enjoy following you journal and who knows our paths may even cross
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Tricia GrahamI hope they do...we'd love to meet up with you!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Tricia GrahamAnd we would love to meet up with you
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Graham SmithI can relate to the bikes being parked OS. In March 2020, when Australia announced the covid border closures, I departed NZ in a hurry with just a packed pannier as hand luggage, leaving my folding touring bike and other cycling gear at my in-laws place in Nelson.
The expectation was I’d be able to return to NZ in a few months after things had settled down. Little did I realise what was ahead.

The return still hasn’t happened. The bike and the touring gear are waiting patiently in Nelson.

In the meantime both of my in-laws have passed, and one of my parents too. These past few years have seen many big changes for family and the world.

Happier times are ahead. I expect to return to NZ at years end for a family wedding. And to collect the bike.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Graham SmithThis puts things into perspective, Graham. We may have lost a few years of cycle touring opportunities but you've lost so much more - three of your family - during the pandemic. We all need happier times ahead.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Graham SmithTo Robyn RichardsThanks Robyn. I should clarify that the family deaths were age related, not directly due to covid but the constraints of the covid context made the situation much more difficult, as it did for countless thousands of people who lost family during the border closures and lockdowns.

And I was very fortunate to be able to do a major cycle tour here in Australia between waves of covid and border blocks. It paid off having more than one cycle touring bike.

And I should also add that one of my learnings from all that has happened, is to take cycle touring opportunities as they arrive. Don’t wait. Who knows what’s ahead to restrict travel again.

So well done you for heading back to Europe to be reunited with your bikes.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Carolyn van HoeveLooking forward to following you Robyn!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago