Shift left! - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2022

Shift left!

Once again, Rachael and I want to express our heartfelt thanks to those of you who have joined us for some or all of the past 13 weeks.  And we especially want to thank again those who joined us physically along the way: Rich and Robin Frasier, Suzanne Gibson, János Kertesz, and Susan Carpenter.  Thirteen weeks is a long time for Rachael to be stuck with just me for company, and your physical and virtual companionship and support has made a world of difference.

Typically journals like this will end up with some sort of recap, post mortem, or list of lessons learned.  None of these will be forthcoming though.  One, the tour as a whole isn’t rally ended yet; the journal is just passing the baton to the next runner.  Two, we’re old dogs and haven’t learned any new tricks of significance lately.  Three, even if we had learned anything significant enough to pass on, there’s no time.  We leave for England in a few hours and it’s time to pack away our spare euros and shift the mirrors to the right side of the handlebars in preparation for shifting our riding to the left side of the road for the next three months.  We hope you’ll join us in the UK for Three Seasons Around France: Summer.

The Tour de France is coming to Calais! The fourth stage ends here on July 5th, the first time the tour has ever ended a stage here. It’s the first French stage this year (the first three are in Denmark), and it concludes with crossings of Cap Blanc-Nez and Cap Gris-Nes, the two capes we crossed arriving here yesterday.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Getting ready for the big celebration. I suspect this is somewhere near the finish line, and the streamers in the video below will guide them in as they sprint for the finish.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Hotel De Ville.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The belfry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The belfry.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The Burghers of Calais, by Rodin, stands in front of the Hotel de Ville. It depicts a moment from this story: “In 1346, England's Edward III, after a victory in the Battle of Crécy, laid siege to Calais, while Philip VI of France ordered the city to hold out at all costs. Philip failed to lift the siege, and starvation eventually forced the city to parley for surrender.The contemporary chronicler Jean Froissart (c. 1337 – c. 1405) tells a story of what happened next: Edward offered to spare the people of the city if six of its leaders would surrender themselves to him, presumably to be executed. Edward demanded that they walk out wearing nooses around their necks, and carrying the keys to the city and castle. One of the wealthiest of the town leaders, Eustache de Saint Pierre, volunteered first, and five other burghers joined with him. Saint Pierre led this envoy of volunteers to the city gates. It was this moment, and this poignant mix of defeat, heroic self-sacrifice, and willingness to face imminent death that Rodin captured in his sculpture, scaled somewhat larger than life. According to Froissart's story, the burghers expected to be executed, but their lives were spared by the intervention of England's queen, Philippa of Hainault, who persuaded her husband to exercise mercy by claiming that their deaths would be a bad omen for her unborn child.”
Heart 3 Comment 0
Notre-Dame cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving France!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Leaving Calais.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 3 miles (5 km)
Total: 2,663 miles (4,286 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Jen RahnLooking forward to the next segment!

Ron was just talking about how Team Anderson started documenting their travels before bicycle touring was "a thing".

How lucky for us readers that you take the time and care to share your adventures.

Thank you!

When we don't get to hang out in person very often, this is a great way to maintain connection. And to learn about new and beautiful places!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bob DistelbergThanks to you for letting us all tag along on another adventure. It’s much easier to say goodbye in this journal when you know the next one is queued up and ready to go.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierAn amazing journal! I don’t know how you do it on top of the daily riding and all the other tasks of bicycle touring, but I appreciate the effort that went into it. I’m looking forward to the next chapter!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonIt was great having you here on the continent, and we were so happy that you let us tag along in Burgundy. Can't wait for your experiences in England. New territory for me. Have a good trip!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenWe are looking forward to the next chapter! We so appreciate that you take the time do write your journal so we can live vicariously through you.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterIt's been great fun following your adventures in France, and I especially enjoyed the in-person triple-header. I look forward to tagging along during your UK travels - enjoy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnHey, we could meet irl more often if youse home bodies would move around a bit. We’re doing our part by getting closer. Stonehenge in September!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen ClassenThanks for following along with us again, Kathleen. One of these times we’ll find ourselves in the same place and time again, I’m sure.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob DistelbergEasier for us too! I don’t have to struggle over thinking of something deep and meaningful to say at the end, because there’s not the time. Thanks again for joining us!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos KerteszEs war schön mit euch! Danke!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago