In the grand scheme of things - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

February 11, 2022

In the grand scheme of things

Well, it’s looking like this nine month idea is really going to give birth.  It’s too soon to tell if it will end prematurely or not, but barring catastrophe it looks like we’re definitely going; and, even though at first we viewed it more as a vision than a commitment we have moved beyond that and have bought in to the idea that we’ll complete the whole journey.  Nine months!  Wow!

We’re quite far along in our planning at this point.  We have the route mapped out for the entire tour and are well into the process of finding and booking lodging.  Currently we’re in Burgundy and heading north fast.  I expect we’ll hop the English Channel and start working north from Dover within a few days.

We’ve bought our tickets for Barcelona and booked our lodging in Portland for December when we plan to fly home from Nice.  Looks like we’re really going, folks.  Might as well start the journal and invite folks to keep us company along the way.  

Spring: Barcelona to Calais.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Summer: Dover to Plymouth.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Polly LowWhat a great route! (Though I feel quite tired just looking at it...). Incidentally: do you know the cycle.travel route planner? I think it's probably the best planner for UK roads (esp. because it takes account of traffic volume data, so can help you dodge small-but-busy routes).
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Polly LowHi, Polly. Thanks again for following along, and thanks for the tip. I hadn’t heard of cycle.travel before but it looks like an excellent resource. I’ll have to study it and compare its recommendations to our own plans.

So are you based in the UK, btw? Will we be passing anywhere near you?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Polly LowTo Scott AndersonI'm based in Durham, in north-east England, which your route very carefully swerves! (I don't blame you: Durham itself is great, but the scenery in the North Pennines and N. Yorks is, I have to concede, better. But if your route changes to bring you further east, I will gladly provide advice on cake stops, pubs, and other essentials...)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Autumn: Roscoff to Nice.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 16
Comment on this entry Comment 12
Bruce LellmanGood for you to keep on exploring. You guys are legend!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownThis looks like a lot of fun. We're excited to follow along.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetLooks fantastic! I suspect I'll be adding some of your routes to one or more of my future trips, as usual.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Angela NaefWow wheee! Exciting, looking forward to following along. Are you booking everything?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Angela NaefWe didn’t start with that in mind, but yes at least up through the early autumn. We’re finding places with short cancellation clauses, and I’m sure we’ll end up cancelling bookings and altering routes along the way when things come up, so this just preserves our options.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettWhat an incredible trip! I'm jealous. I'll look forward to following you on your new travels.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesWow, an interesting routing. Like Jacquie, we will be watching for what parts we can "steal" for future tours.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
runchun he你好,我是来自中国北京的自行车旅行爱好者,你的旅行线路吸引了我。我将跟踪你的这次长途旅行,祝你一路顺利!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo runchun he你好! Welcome to CycleBlaze, and thank you for joining us!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensFantastic! Happy Travels!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensAny plans to also go into Scotland, we have a fantastic connection for you if you do, Peter McLaren and Glassmount.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensNot on this tour at least, but it’s in the back of our minds to make it back again in another Schengen stretcher. Maybe next year? We’ll have to see how this one goes.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago