What has been, and what will be - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

November 13, 2021

What has been, and what will be

What has been

History is written by the victors.     - Winston Churchill

History is just one damned thing after another.    - Arnold Toynbee

From one perspective, this tour looked something like that this: 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Possibly an interesting summary and point of view, if you’re inclined to numbers.  Other interesting metrics could have included sick days (zero!), accidents or serious injuries (zero!), lost eyeglasses (1), CycleBlaze meetups (5), countries (7), states (9), photographs, days biking in the rain, days or miles hiked, revised plans, cancelled bookings, desserts, and on and on and on.  But we’ll stop here. Metrics, schmetrics.

From another perspective this has just been a whole lot of work!  5+ months, 5,000+ miles, 200+ CycleBlaze posts.  History is just one damned pedal stroke, key stroke, foot fall or shutter click after another.  And it all stops here, for this tour at least.  This is the final post of the tour, by necessity since I’ve already declared the total number of posts.

From the most important perspective though, this has all been such an extraordinary experience, such a rich cornucopia of fantastic, wonderful and not so delightful moments that we’ll look back on it with astonishment not many years from now in the same way that today we view our tour of the French Alps back in 2015.  1,250 miles, 129,000 feet of climbing, and about thirty mountain passes in 3o days?  Really?   Galibier?  Ventoux?  Madeleine?  Col de la Bonnette?  With panniers? And we drove down to Salem for work the morning after we got back?  Wow, were we tough then!  And crazy!

5,000 miles in 5 months?  I was 74 and you were 62?  And without eBikes?  Wow!  Let’s go back and reread those journals, watch some old videos, and remind ourselves of just how we did that.

Thank you all again for being a part of our adventure.  We couldn’t have done it without you.  And, of course, thanks to Jeff for creating and maintaining this outstanding, welcoming platform where we can share our experiences.  Make a contribution, support CycleBlaze!

What will be

Que sera, sera / whatever will be, will be / the future’s not ours to see / que sera, sera.        - Josephine Conway,  from The Man Who Knew Too Much

Who knows?  We never really do, do we?  We could step around the corner and get run over by that Old Age Truck tomorrow.  But we do have ideas!

They start with taking it pretty easy over the next four months.  After this month here in Portland we’ll drive down to Tucson, stay there for six weeks, and then drive back to Portland to spend February here again.  No panniers, but there should be plenty of biking - at least once we get out from under this seemingly endless atmospheric river that we’re all sick of already and move south.  I’m sure we’ll throw up a blog and toss out a post here and there, if for no other reason than that Roddy and the Straggler can see themselves in print again after being cooped up together in the dark for nearly a half year, and I can show off my latest attempt to bike my age in miles again.  Drum roll, the suspense mounts: will this be the year that it’s just one mile or one year too many?  I don’t think so, but who knows?

On March 1st though, we’re flying back to Europe - to Nice, this time.  Buying our ticket back was one of the first things we did after arriving back in Portland this week.  By our records, this will be the 52nd tour of a week or longer that the two of us have taken together (The Ace of Spades Tour!), 35 of which have been of roughly a month or longer.  And then I’ve got my own 11 more to add to it.

As envisioned now anyway, this one will be different than any we’ve undertaken before: much longer and much less structured.  For starters, we’re just buying a one way ticket because we don’t know how long we’ll stay, where we’ll return from, or even anything more than a rough idea about where specifically we’ll go.  And we expect it to be more relaxed and ad hoc with many longer stays where we can settle in for a spell and enjoy biking without panniers, take walks and hikes, or just sit in a cafe or by the shore and watch the world roll by.

The Grand Vision though as I briefly mentioned sometime last summer is still a nine month tour: three months in France, three months in the UK to take us out of the Schengen Zone until we can return, and then back in it again for another three months, primary in France once more.  Nice to Barcelona, by a much longer route than when we first did it in 1996.  Maybe something like this:

The Ace of Spades Tour: Spring
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Ace of Spades Tour: Summer
Heart 2 Comment 7
Graham FinchI see you're heading to Guinness territory! Debbie and I were there a few years ago and did some of the route that you've penciled in:

https://www.cycleblaze.com/edit-journal/11/

Your England route includes a piece I'll ride in 2022. One of my planned trips includes the town of Worksop in Nottinghamshire, which looks like a place you may ride through. It's just east of Sheffield.

I also intend to ride up the coast north of Newcastle. It looks like you ride will be around Scarborough, to the south, which is where I cycled a few years ago.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham FinchHere's my ride from Hull, heading north up the coast...

https://www.cycleblaze.com/edit-item/23224/
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham FinchJust spotted your blue line!

Another of my intended routes next year is a clock-wise loop from Swansea in South Wales that ends in Chepstow - which is just across from Bristol.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchWorksop! I love British names.

This whole outline is really a swag for now. I imagine France is roughly on target, because we’re familiar enough with most of the country to know where we want to go. Not at all the case with the UK though.

We’re really pretty new to the idea that we’re really going to do this and are just starting to throw ideas on the map. Other than time-boxing it we really haven’t thought it through at all, beyond knowing that I want to see the Lake District again, Yorkshire, and Devon. Guinnessland may not even make the final cut. There’s really enough to see in England, Wales, and the Borderlands to fill the summer, and maybe pair up Ireland with a tour of Spain on a different year. Your Casablanca journal has been a great resource for piquing my curiosity about regions I’ve never thought of before.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchThanks, but you might send both links again. You’ve sent the edit versions instead of the view ones, so I can’t access them.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham FinchTo Scott AndersonSorry - here's the section of one visit, riding north of Hull and Hornsea...

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/lincolnshire/hull-to-hornsea/

and here's Ireland...

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/ireland/
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham FinchTo Scott AndersonThe line did seem a bit crude and heading through places I would likely skip. The Midlands is a bit congested. Even my route near Worksop took a lot of browsing of the OS maps.

Sustrans outlines various cycle routes. ..

https://explore.osmaps.com/en?lat=53.500000&lon=-2.500000&zoom=7.0000

You could just use their routes as a guide and tailor your trip to suit your personal goals.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The Ace of Spades Tour: Autumn
Heart 0 Comment 0

Or not.  Who knows?  Get up, stretch your legs, go for a drink, we’ll see you after the break.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 21
Bill ShaneyfeltGreat tour! to quote Bob Hope: "Thanks for the memories"
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks again, Bill. Hopefully next time we’ll find something new for you to research. I don’t think the UK has any Italian wall lizards, so that’s a hopeful indicator.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezWelcome home!

Have you been tracking the price of plane tickets? If so, did you notice a change now that international travel has opened up? The news says air travel is surging and prices are going up accordingly.

I have a story for you - I was chatting with a new teacher from Ohio (?) about what we had done over the weekend. I had ridden my bicycle, which impressed Thomas greatly. He went on and on about how wonderful it was that I was getting out and about 'at my age'. Why, I was the same age as his parents, and all they did was watch TV. We had a little discussion about Coloradans being active people. Thomas did admit to seeing gray haired people on the ski slope (his sport). Fast forward to the end of the year - Thomas' father passed away unexpectedly . . . . talk about incentive to keep moving!

I'm excited to see you in Tucson. We have to sit down and have a proper meal and a beer. Maybe at one of those outside cafes you enjoy so much?

I will be in Tucson three times this winter - Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a month over January/February. I should know by then if my infatuation is the real thing or not. I've had an offer of a garage to leave the bikes in, but so far haven't been convinced that my affair with Tucson is serious enough to commit my bicycle long term.

Enjoy all of your favorite spots in Portland!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezThanks, Kelly. And congratulations as still being able to even walk at your age! Very impressive!

Check out El Charro in Tucson. Unless something’s changed, they have both food and beer.

I think flight prices are moving up, though we’d only casually checked in on the Nice flight a few times over the last month or two and didn’t keep notes. I think we could have saved a few hundred if we’d bought a month ago, but we weren’t really ready to think about it yet.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Carolyn van HoeveThanks so much for the journey Scott and Rachael! It was disappointing enough to sit down with my morning coffee and to find no new entry, but now there will be nothing .... aaargh! Can't wait for your next journal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bob DistelbergThose are lots of impressive numbers, but the one that really blows me away is 52 tours! Wow. Your Grand Vision sounds pretty Grand, but hopefully you'll make it back to the US east coast some day. Remember those Finger Lakes.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob DistelbergI’ve just been thinking about those Finger Lakes! One of my homecoming tasks at the end of a tour is to unload and back up photos to clean up the iPad for the next round. I just finished America this morning, so I’ve been on a blitz tour over those months in the past few days. Certainly hope we get back there some year, if not this upcoming one.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Carolyn van HoevePressure, pressure, pressure. We’ll see how long I can hold out, but I do dislike updating folks’ routines.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Carolyn van HoeveIs there any part of the tour you would have changed (apart from that windy coastal, no shoulder, busy stretch in Italy)? We would love to replicate what you've just done next year!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Carolyn van HoeveOther than maybe a different choice on a specific town or accommodation here and there, I’d say we were really happy with everything up through Trento. After that though it’s really difficult to say because there are so many great itineraries south from there. We went the way we did primarily because of weather, but I think we’d have had a great time too sticking with the original idea and going down the heart of Tuscany and Umbria.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonWhat a fantastic five months! Best part was that you came through Gauting. And now jet lagged and vaxxed you still have the energy to plan a whole new itinery and buy tickets to Nice. Nine months this time, what will this give birth to? Your route isn't taking you anywhere near Bavaria, but who knows if we might not be somewhere in France next summer. Some other Cycleblazers might be in the vicinity, too. Wouldn't that be a blast.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob DistelbergI was lying in bed this morning counting tours trying to get back to sleep (way more interesting than sheep!), and could only think of 48 of them. So I pulled up our document I’ve been maintaining for years and found that we’ve actually done 52 already.

So that’s bad news. I can’t call the upcoming one the Ace of Spades tour after all. Maybe Jokers Wild?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonYou’re right, passing through Gauting was one of the greatest highlights of the tour. I wouldn’t be surprised years from now I don’t recall sitting by Lake Starnberg with you two more vividly than anything else from these months.

Yes, come to France next year. You’re so close! Burgundy in the fall, maybe about the third week of September. We could go knock on Keith Kline’s door and see if anyone is home.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Carolyn van HoeveOnce again how amazing your timing ... just escaping before this next big wave of infection is sweeping through Europe!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Carolyn van HoeveIsn’t that remarkable though? I’ve been watching that develop myself. Feels like we’re staying just one step ahead.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinHi,
Looks like you’ll be through here next fall, if all goes to plan. Don’t forget to stop by to say hello.
Of course, if it doesn’t go according to plan you can stop by anyway.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith KleinYes, we know you’re hanging out there and were planning to stitch you into the plan if you’re agreeable. It looks like we’d be there mid-September sometime, under this plan at least. Thanks for the invite, we’ll definitely keep in touch.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnCan't wait to see what this Team Anderson "taking it easy" looks like.

I predict that riding your age in miles is still totally doable (definitely not my definition of 'taking it easy, though).
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith KleinSo I’m starting to plot out a candidate itinerary, because it’s nearly autumn already. Remind me of where you live again?. Somewhere south of Dijon?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinTo Scott AndersonHi Scott,
Yes, at Gevrey Chambertin to be precise. It’s about 15 k by bike from the railway station in Dijon, or 500 meters from the station in Gevrey. As you get more advanced in your plans, I can provide more information, like routes etc. Some time you should send me your email address so we can communicate easier.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith KleinOh. Closer to Dijon than I remembered. You can probably walk to downtown. I’ll send you an email, as I just remembered I already have yours.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago