To Cuneo - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

October 16, 2021

To Cuneo

Cuneo is the end point of our tour up the Po and through the Piemonte.  And, it’s at the end of both - surrounded to the south and west by mountains, it’s as far as you can go in this direction without going up.  

There are several options for how to bike to Cuneo from Saluzzo but we pick what looks apt to be the most scenic one, following the base of the hills south as they rim the valley.  It’s a good choice - a beautiful ride, often very quiet and peaceful, and not too difficult. The weather is fantastic today for this time of year - it’s cold when we start out, but heats up quickly under the full sun and the outer layers are quickly shed for the day.

Leaving Saluzzo, looking up at some ridge-top palace.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing the Variana Valley, we look west into the mountains. This would be an awesome route into France over 9000’ Col Agnel, which is still open. A shame we’ve already booked an apartment in Cuneo, or we’d have been sorely tempted.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing the Variata, I think. All of these nascent rivers are just streams now spilling down from the Alps, and all eventually become feeders to the Po.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here’s Rocky!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking down to the basin from the high point of the day, such as it was.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back up at the descent from the big climb of the day. Short but steep, 17% on both sides.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’re not in the valley any more.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As soon as we get a hundred feet off the valley floor we’re out of the corn fields.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking west toward the border with France. Wonderful to have a clearer day today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This looks like an aquaduct.
Heart 1 Comment 0
But now it’s a footbridge?
Heart 1 Comment 0
No visual cues this time. See if you can spot Rocky without the helpful arrow to guide you.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The church at Castelleto Busca. We grabbed a bench beside the road here and stopped for lunch.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These three squealing girls were a delight, as was the mother with the fourth girl, pushing her along on her kiddy bike with trainer wheels. A nice parade to watch while we enjoyed our lunch.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jen RahnHappy kids on bikes! Perfect mealtime entertainment, indeed.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
I waited here for Rachael so I could catch a shot of her descending down this narrow hairpin. The entire time I waited the road was empty. Then as soon as she came in sight the van rounded the bend, crowding her by taking nearly all of the road; then the other biker arrived. With me ahead as yet another distraction, it was all a little too busy for comfort.
Heart 2 Comment 0
As we near Cuneo the mountain views become steadily more impressive.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stick stack shack.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A hop field reminds us that we’re at about the same latitude as the mid-Willamette Valley. I like this rustic look, using unmilled saplings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another first. I don’t recall ever seeing chestnuts grown as a row crop before; but maybe I’ve just never seen this at the right season so I was aware of it.
Heart 2 Comment 5
Keith KleinHi,
New to me, too. But all the better to make crème de marrons!
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownBill's not here to correct you but I believe those are tribbles. Pedal fast and hard or they'll get into your panniers.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownThanks for the laugh! I’ve never heard of tribbles and we’re so sure these were chestnuts so I looked it up.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownWhen I used to drive to work in October/November, early in the morning on Cesar Chavez Blvd right near Laurelhurst Park I slowed way down. Chestnuts were falling off of the overhanging trees and bonking the roof/hood of my car, startling enough, but the real danger was that elderly Asian folks gathered the fallen nuts off of the busy street, darting out between cars and giving me a heart attack. The road was slippery with squashed chestnuts. Terrifying, even more so than tribbles.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownThat’s a good story. I’ve never seen more chestnuts than here. They’re all over once you get into the foothills, and blanket the ground. I got bonked on today’s ride when one loudly bounced off my helmet. Not what you want on a 15% climb.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Pretty nutty part of the world. Here we have walnuts. I hear a few fall to earth with a thud as I bike past, and am glad I’m wearing a helmet.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith KleinHi,
Not black( Juglans nigra ) which are American, but “ordinary” walnuts (Juglans regia) otherwise known as English, Persian, Carpathian, or European walnuts. They grow wild just about everywhere that it’s cool enough in Europe and are great to gather and munch on when you are in the woods at this time of year.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith KleinHuh. I know about black and English walnuts, as we have them back home anyway. Same situation - the English ones are the ones grown for eating. The leaves and the hard dark husks of these looked like blacks, but I didn’t really look that closely.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Looking west again, but up a different pass through the mountains. You could stay in the region for a week or more and find a different alpine route every day.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Video sound track: Air, by Jesse Cook

This morning we let our host in Cuneo know that we’d arrive around two, but would call when we got closer.  It wasn’t a firm time commitment - or at least I didn’t mean it as such - so we’re in no particular rush.  At a few minutes after two though Rachael receives a call.  It’s our host Stefania, who’s already at the apartment waiting for our arrival.  Feeling under pressure from two directions, imagining Stefania tapping her foot impatiently at the apartment and Rachael seething over all the time we’ve spent waiting for me and the camera, I make the best of it and set a fast pace for the last seven miles and we make it in around 2:30.

Stefania’s fine.  She’s warm and welcoming, and has a terrific apartment to show us.  We could live here pretty contentedly, but since that’s not possible now we’ll do the next best thing: we’re taking a six day break here to take day rides, hike, enjoy an obviously fine city, study the weather forecasts, and plot out how to spend the last two weeks of the tour.

In Bernezzo, Rachael stops for a call. It’s our host, waiting for us at our apartment in a Cuneo. We’re still seven miles away.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re in the region at a festive time of year. In Alba it was the white truffle festival. Here, it’s chestnuts.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the classic pose, this pointer alerts his owners to the presence of a dog passing on the other side of the glass.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Osteria dei Colori. We were lucky to get in, and are seated at a tiny round table beside a shelf filled with half bottles from the region. Easy to sit there, look at the row of labels, and make a choice. Nebbiolo tonight.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Those chestnut roasters. Not tonight, but we’re going to have to buy a sack of them before we leave town.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith KleinYes, do get some!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 32 miles, 1,800’;  for the tour: 2,144 miles, 76,600‘

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 2,144 miles (3,450 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Suzanne GibsonLooks like you are in for six days of fine weather in Cuneo, too. Almost good enough to warrant a trip from Munich! Great place to start winding down from your months on the road.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonYou’re right! Hop in the car and you could be here tonight! Actually the weather looks like it will be fine around for almost a full two weeks. Must be the best spot in Europe at the moment. Have you ever toured in this region?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonWe never toured there, but Janos has traveled there driving the sag for his friends. If it weren't for my commitment to taichi, we really might consider a quick trip to the region. Taichi school closes for fall vacation which would make a trip possible as of 27 October, but by then you will be gone and most likely the good weather as well.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonPretty sure you’re right about the weather. It will be fine, until it isn’t. It changed almost overnight when we were here three years ago and suddenly it was cold, damp and wet for weeks if not until spring.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownWhat a beautiful ride today. Once again, thanks for bringing us along.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago