Day 2:  Miscalculation - Cycling Siblings: Touring Kentucky - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2021

Day 2:  Miscalculation

Sebree to Fordsville

Day 2 completed!

Peter said he didn’t sleep well last night but he still woke up his usual chipper self while I slept pretty well but woke up feeling lousy.  Even though I didn’t feel well I was happy we only had to ride 44 miles today, 11 less miles than yesterday.  

After breakfast, Peter ate last night’s pizza heated up and I ate 1/4 of a Bono’s bar, we said goodbye to Diane and were on the road a little before 8:00 am.  It was a little warm and muggy at first then the clouds came in and it became more pleasant.

We stopped at a Marathon station in Beech Grove about 9 miles into our ride to get a Gatorade which we shared.  While sitting  at a small table in the gas station Peter decided to check the map again and discovered he had miscalculated our mileage for the day, instead of 44 miles it was actually going to be 55 miles.  After this brief stop and the disappointing discovery we were back on our bikes and headed to Utica.

We got to Utica around 10:30 and had an early lunch at J. R.’s Market.  Peter had a fried bologna sandwich, Fritos, plus 1/2 of a grilled cheese sandwich and I was only able to get a half of grilled cheese down which I forced myself to eat.  Even though I was still feeling crummy I was determined to power through, we were halfway to our final destination.

Between Utica and Fordsville we made a few more stops twice for me to rest, and twice to talk to cyclists who were heading West on the Trans American Trail.  It’s funny that both of the guys we met knew or knew of Diane.  During this part of the trip we were rained on 3 times, twice a fairly light rain and the last time a medium rain, actually it felt pretty good.

We finally made it to Fordsville a little before 2:00 pm.  We met Pastor Joe and his wife Tomi who were extremely gracious and offered the use of their shower which was a pleasant surprise.  Joe gave us a tour of our accommodations which were very nice and told us to come over to the parsonage when we were ready to shower.  We proceeded to get our things unpacked, did some stretching, then headed over to take a shower.  It’s amazing how good a shower feels when you’ve been in the saddle for almost 5 hours.

After chatting with Joe and Tomi for a while Peter headed into town to pick up some Pepto Bismol for me and dinner for both of us.  It was a longer walk than he expected and warmer than it’s been all day.  When he returned we shared a fried chicken sandwich and a fried pork sandwich, each of which I manage to eat 2 bites. 

We are now finishing up this journal and relaxing and it won’t be long before “iron-gut” Peter and “wimpy-gut” me hit the hay.  It was another eventful day...goodnight and thanks for joining us on this journey.

Today’s Stats.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Day 2 and we’re ready to go. Safe journey to Diane and so long Sebree First Baptist Church, thank you so much.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Downtown Sebree.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Downtown Sebree.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Downtown Sebree.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
This one is for Joe Heller, my beekeeper neighbor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
First stop Beech Grove. Morri and I shared a Gatorade then Morri starter nonstop burping. I think she could have won the burping contest in town but we had to hit the road.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Dori MackHa, ha, ha!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Second stop. Nice to have a gazebo just hanging around.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Dori MackVery pretty. What is that crop?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Peter ChamnessI believe it’s wheat or barley.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Third stop, lunch at JR’s Market in Utica.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Jeff LeeI'm glad to see that J.R.'s Market is still open. I stopped there in 2017 on a short tour.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dori MackYou're getting pretty brown. I hope you're wearing sunscreen.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Morri NashTo Dori MackI am but I guess I sweat it off.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Fried bologna sandwich, Frito’s, and a coke…….lunch of champions
Heart 2 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauMy grandfather used to make fried "baloney" sandwiches. They were great. It was then that I realized that a slice of bologna was basically a flattened-out hotdog, which I also like.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Theresa MatteiMy brother EBH3 lived fried baloney! Your brother Alex lived a bacon sandwich! God bless them both! Maybe they are watching over you two from heaven! 🙏😘
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pair of gargoyles at drive entrance to a trailer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don was one of two West bounders we meet heading to Oregon. Both knew of Diana who is a day ahead.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cay says I look like I’m riding a red lawnmower.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fourth stop, a Baptist Church 5 miles from Fordsville. It’s important to bring a backup bike with you.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Dori MackThat picture is so great!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
After 55 miles (not 44) we arrive at Fordsville Baptist Church. Pastor Joe and wife Tomi were beyond gracious and let us use their shower, Hallelujah. Nothing better than a shower after a long ride.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Dori MackHey, nice shirt Morri!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
I’m sleeping in the nursery……I get my choice of cubby holes.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 110 miles (177 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Jeff LeeI wondered about the mileage when Peter mentioned that the second day would be shorter than the first, because that didn't seem right to me, based on my own reading of the map.

But I assumed that a math teacher would not make a mistake like that ;)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Cint VarniI love the scenery and the old buildings in Kentucky! Great photos!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dori MackSo how was it to get back in the saddle after riding so long the day before?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Babs NashHope tomorrow is a better day for Morri! 🙏 So thankful for this blog! Keep us all informed!!! We are praying for you both!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago