Biking Mount Revelstoke: Meadows in the Sky Parkway - Swan Song for the Jetta - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2018

Biking Mount Revelstoke: Meadows in the Sky Parkway

The doctor who treated Rachael’s wasp sting at the emergency room is also a bicyclist, and he recommended that once her hand improves we consider biking Meadows in the Sky Parkway, the access road in Mount Revelstoke National Park. We took his advice, and started off early this morning after checking out from our motel.

We knew what we were getting in for, because we had ridden this road two days earlier on our way to the hike to Miller Lake.  It’s a long but very steady climb: 4,800’ in 26 kilometers, at an almost uniform 5-6% grade. The road condition is excellent, having been recently resurfaced.  The traffic load is surprisingly light, which is a good thing because the road has many very sharp, blind hairpin turns and no shoulder.

What is there to say about a good hill climb?  This one was not too difficult, and neither of us had difficulty holding a steady pace all the way to the top.  The ride down was a pure delight, with the smooth road and gradual slope allowing us to fly off the mountain.  The only disappointment was the weather - the smoke has returned, and visibility is quite poor.  Disappointing, but we were lucky with weather on the previous two days here so we have no complaints.

We’re in Kaslo tonight, where we’re staying for two nights at an Airbnb.  We have a pair mod nice rides lined up for the next two days, but we’ll have to see.  The forecast is for 100 degree smokers.

The climb begins with this short connector that crosses under the TransCanada Highway. It includes a short but very steep patch, the steep st of the day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At the entrance to the park
Heart 3 Comment 0
1K under my belt already, and I’m feeling really strong. This willl be easy!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our first hairpin, of about twenty. I won’t show them all, but the first is always special.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The first scenic pullout features this fine overlook on Revelstoke.
Heart 2 Comment 0
After losing Rachael for awhile I managed to catch up with her again, steadily grinding out the k’s. I stopped to take a photo and promptly got dropped again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I hope you appreciate this photo, because it took a lot out of me. I had to chase her down and then get far enough ahead to get in position.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Bruce LellmanI've had the same problem. These women just don't appreciate the logistics of creating fine photography.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Bruce LellmanPsh, as if you ever had to chase me down.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownWimmen! Can’t live with ‘em, can’t live without ‘em.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The second big viewpoint on the climb. This one features this wonderful view on the Monashees and the Columbia River. Spectacular!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woo-hoo!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stayed at the summit just long enough for a few pictures, and then fled. The mosquitoes and horse flies were ferocious.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Evidence
Heart 1 Comment 0
To borrow a phrase from Slim Pickens/Major Kong, Yee-haw!
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view of Arrow Lake from the ferry is a bit less inspiring today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fire fighting skimmers gather water from Arrow Lake.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We (I) thought it would be interesting to take the back road through Trout Lake on our drive to Kaslo. And it was interesting. And very slow. And very dusty.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Kaslo, the last Canadian stop of the tour. We’re here (but not staying at this fine old hotel) for two nights, and then start the long drive back to Portland.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It’s smoky down here too, but a bit less so this evening. Here we’re looking at the Purcell’s across Kootenay Lake. Hopefully we’ll get a better look before we leave town.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Xx

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 34 miles, 4,800’

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 1,436 miles (2,311 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0