Day -2 - Travel to Amsterdam - Floating Across The Netherlands - Tandem Tour - July 2022 - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2022

Day -2 - Travel to Amsterdam

We had a few moments of panic on Wednesday when we received an email from KLM informing us that our flight had been canceled.  Not much warning!

But with some quick action and nimble fingers, we managed to snag some seats on an earlier flight.  Same airline, same day.  It’s hard to believe there are so many flights between Toulouse and Amsterdam, but we benefited in this case.

The downside was an early departure from home.  The alarm went off at the unFrasier-like hour of 6AM.  Yikes!   We groggily worked through breakfast and locking up the house, and were on the road shortly after 8.  Checkin at Toulouse was smooth.  The big bike suitcase weighed exactly 23kg on the airport scale!

Our plane was a few minutes late but we were in no hurry.  By 2:45 we were having lunch in the Amsterdam airport.  A quick train into Amsterdam Centraal and a quick walk to our hotel (we splurged and are staying at the NH Collection Barbizon Palace), and we were done!

Arrival at Amsterdam Centraal
Heart 5 Comment 0

After all the planning and worrying, we were kind of shocked that it all went so smoothly!  We kind of collapsed in our room in relief.   Since bike building was scheduled for tomorrow, we chilled in our lovely room until dinner time before wandering out for a walk across town.  

Still looks pretty much like it did on our first visit in 1975! A little cleaner, maybe…
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0


Robin had spotted a restaurant that interested her, so we ended up walking all the way over to Westerpark where we had a great dinner at “Mossel & Gin”.  We had, you guessed it, mussels and gin.   Gin as in gin & tonics, mussels as in classic wine for Rich and non-classic chipotle mussels for Robin.  A sweet place run by sweet people.

As we finished eating, it started to rain.  Heavily, actually!  Not looking forward to a 45 minute walk home in a downpour, we sprinted to a nearby bus stop and caught a bus back to the train station.  (You can buy a 1-hour ticket from the driver).  A quick dash to our hotel and we were drippily and happily back in our room for the night.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gregory GarceauAfter such an early wake up call, a long flight, gin & tonics, wine & mussels and chipotle & mussels, I might have been tempted to duck into one of those notorious Amsterdam "coffee shops" to wait out the downpour. You guys demonstrated great restraint. You will have a fine tour.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago