Day -1 - Building the Bike - Floating Across The Netherlands - Tandem Tour - July 2022 - CycleBlaze

Day -1 - Building the Bike

Today’s job was to turn the contents of a suitcase and a duffle bag into a rideable tandem.  

We gathered energy with a great breakfast in the hotel, and spoke with the hotel staff about where best to do the work.  They showed us into a ground-floor storeroom that was perfect!   Lots of space and even shelves that we could use to organize our tools.

Step 1 complete. :)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Discussing step 2
Heart 2 Comment 0

We’re not quite a well-oiled machine but we work together pretty well.  There was no damage to the bike and it went together with a minimum of fuss.  I set a stopwatch, so I can confidently say that it took us 1 hour 22 minutes and 37 seconds to build the bike.

We checked all the critical systems but skipped our normal shakedown ride.  There’s one scheduled with the boat cruise tomorrow, it was raining, and we’re both pretty intimidated about riding in downtown Amsterdam.  The bike riders here are professional, fast, and take no prisoners!   So we’ll tighten anything we missed tomorrow.

We celebrated our success by taking a walk down to where we’re supposed to board the boat tomorrow.  It’s not far, and although we got some raindrops on our heads, it was great to get out in the fresh air.

Oosterdok, Amsterdam
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretWhere’s the Angeline?
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
We think this is our boat!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretSorry you are NOT on the Angeline!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Some ancient relics from the distant past
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karen PoretThe bike or you, or both? :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Iconic Amsterdam
Heart 5 Comment 0
We suspect some flower doping has been going on here.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWe’ve seen a lot of beautiful flowers, also. Colorful gardens are a really big deal in the part of England we’ve been in.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We stopped in a cafe for a drink on the way back and enjoyed people-watching along the canal.  Lots of boat and street activity despite the occasional rain showers.

On our way back to the hotel, we made a slight detour for fritjes.  They were just as good as we remembered!

In Amsterdam moet je fritjes hebben!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretAND..the mayo! ;)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Dinner was an excellent pizza at La Zoccola del Pacioccone.  Maybe better than anything we had during our recent stay in Rome!   Then back to the hotel bar, where we reminisced about previous travels over a couple glasses of good red.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonLooks like you got a great start to your tour. And I know what you mean about the Amsterdam cycists! They show no mercy for the gawking tourist.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Karen PoretTo Suzanne GibsonOr, being in the cycle lane..ever!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago