Rolling! - Country Roads - CycleBlaze

April 2, 2024

Rolling!

Three Catchments in One Day

Canberra to Gunning

I was pedalling steadily by 7 am and in time to see the sunrise. Slowly at first to make sure the loaded bike was in good working order and everything was attached ok.

Most importantly, cycling mate Joel who’s been travelling overseas with his wife for a month or more, turned up at our agreed rendezvous point at 8am in the northern suburbs of Canberra. I’m very pleased to have a riding colleague, especially Joel.

Not far from where Joel and I rendezvoused, we exited Canberra via the Mulligans Flat Road and crossed the state border into NSW. At that point,  it felt we were really underway on this long anticipated tour.

Light drizzle gradually increased to a drenching downpour and then morphed into a dry afternoon. We had a coffee break at the village of Gundaroo at about 10am when the rain became very heavy for a while. 

From Gundaroo, it was an undulating 35 km ride to Gunning where we called a halt by 1:30pm. 

The plan was to have a fairly easy start to the tour and that’s what we did. From the Molonglo River valley, via the Yass River valley and finishing in the Upper Lachlan catchment. Wiradjuri Country was a good start.

Accommodation we’d pre booked in the basic but very clean and functional Gunning Motel. Pub meal for dinner and a plan to head for Tuena (Pop. 59)  tomorrow. 

The day in pics:

How’s that for timing? Rain predicted spot on for tour start. It did rain but didn’t dampen our spirits.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Uplifting to see a beautiful sunrise at the start of the tour. Before the rain.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And right on cue, Joel arrives.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rich FrasierI love those yellow Ortleibs....
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
90 minutes later we were sheltering on the verandah of a Gundaroo coffee shop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fine wool growing country. The Upper Lachlan catchment not far from Gunning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
End of today’s ride in Gunning
Heart 2 Comment 0
The accommodation decorated with cycle tourers laundry and bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gunning Courthouse.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 68 km (42 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jean-Marc StrydomGood to see you are on the road. Still hoping we will cross paths again between now and Brisbane.

You are aware of the weather warning that has been issued for Thursday and Friday in NSW?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Graham SmithTo Jean-Marc StrydomThanks Jean-Marc. I’ll check the warnings. We seem ok for tomorrow but Friday isn’t looking the best.
And yes … we might cross paths again. Today we made good progress. Hard but fun day.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago