A Day of High Gear & Low Gear - Country Roads - CycleBlaze

April 3, 2024

A Day of High Gear & Low Gear

Into The Big Hills

Gunning to Tuena

After yesterday’s relatively easy start to the tour we expected today would be a tad more challenging, but it turned out to more on the hard end of the ride spectrum. 9.5 hours, 108 km and well over 1000 metres of climbing. It was a big day of riding for day 2 of a tour. It felt as if most of the day, I was either using the top gear in fast descents, or crawling up long climbs in low gear. 

The bonuses was almost perfect weather, light traffic, excellent road surfaces, wonderful scenery and top quality food for lunch and morning tea. Plus ending the day at an excellent campground in Tuena.

And most importantly, we’ve met some very nice, helpful people along the way.

It’s been an excellent day of cycle touring.

The day in pics:

Sunrise at about 7am. Cycling by 8am.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Joel exiting the motel. The signage gives a choice of two cities, neither is our destination. No problem. We’ll head to Brisbane via the hill roads.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Snack central
Heart 1 Comment 0
Joel takes on the first of many hills today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The high country has become one of the main sources of wind powered generation in the state.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We didn’t sight any of this flashing cow breed.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Morning tea stop at Grabben Gullen
Heart 2 Comment 0
Interesting to see this 1970s initiative
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’ve been passing through some of Australia’s best fine wool producing areas. These sheep were penned for treatment to prevent parasites.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The outskirts of Crookwell. A bikely welcome.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fantastic mural at Crookwell
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grand views of the high country were the reward for many hard climbs today
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking north
Heart 4 Comment 0
The well stocked General Store at Tuena. I’m smiling because irs the end of the day. No more big hills until tomorrow.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tuena campground. Only $5 for excellent facilities
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


Today's ride: 108 km (67 miles)
Total: 176 km (109 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0